Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change phone number associated with apple id

Why can you not change the phone number associated with an apple id? I recently bought a new iPhone 5s and gave my 4s to my husband. When he put his sim card in the 4s, it seems like a message came up asking if he wanted to use that number for iMessage and I clicked yes never knowing it was going to change the phone number I have associated with my Apple id. He is not tech savy at all and we both share the same Apple id. I have always had my phone number associated with it and so when I get an iMessage it comes on my Mac computer, iPad, and iPhone--which I like. Now my computer and iPad only have his number with it and there is not an option to add my number back. My phone still shows my cell number associated with iMessage. I am afraid to update my phone in case it knocks me off of iMessage. I have tried the signing in and out of IMessage and Face time on my computer and iPad and that does not help. I just want to change the phone number associated with it.

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 6:01 AM

You could simply ensure that only the numbers and addresses you wish to use on each device are checked at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. However this isn’t an ideal solution because the other person can always change these settings from their device and have some fun with you and your contacts.

You’d be far better getting them to delete your account from their device and have them create one of their own. If you are sharing an ID for some other service such as iTunes, you can continue to do so, you only need change the ID for messages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2013 6:01 AM in response to DLGilliam

You could simply ensure that only the numbers and addresses you wish to use on each device are checked at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. However this isn’t an ideal solution because the other person can always change these settings from their device and have some fun with you and your contacts.

You’d be far better getting them to delete your account from their device and have them create one of their own. If you are sharing an ID for some other service such as iTunes, you can continue to do so, you only need change the ID for messages.

change phone number associated with apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.