Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 4hdd/11/40000000 SATA (0,0) w/ third party hard drive

I currently have a mid-2012 15-inch MacBook Pro and been running a Samsung 840 Series Pro 256 SSD.

I ran the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and it came out with error 4hdd/11/40000000 SATA (0,0). I don't experience any noticeable failing HD symptoms with the exception of putting my MBP to sleep, which takes 25 seconds to actually sleep.

I took my MBP to the Apple Store where they ran a test and it came back all fine. The staff mentioned that this error message may appear if using any third party hardware (HD, RAM) but just wanted to see if any of you out they have some opinions?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 6:33 AM

4 replies

Nov 8, 2013 7:12 AM in response to CRJ Tokyo

Apple doesn't release the specific error codes related to the AHT, however, "SATA" would indicate a faulty/loose SATA cable connection to your logicboard (the SATA cable connects your drive to your logicboard). That being said, the AHT doesn't test your actual hard drive (in store diagnostics does). Third party software can definitely cause the sleep issue you mention, however, I haven't heard of it causing any false positives in the AHT as third party drivers are not even loaded when you are running the AHT.

1) I would reseat your SSD and run the test again.

If you get the same error,

2) I would bring it back and have them run another diagnostics test/extended diagnostics on the machine.

Nov 9, 2013 5:45 PM in response to nbar

Thanks for the input. I reseated the SSD, ran the test again but the same issue still occurs.

Another thing I did was put back the original HD that the MBP came with, ran the AHT and it came back with no error messages. I think by doing this I was able to determine that the SATA cable was not faulty and if there is something actually wrong with the SSD drive.

Nov 9, 2013 5:53 PM in response to CRJ Tokyo

Ah, here we go. The alert can be safely ignored. Your drive is fine:

Symptoms

When you test your Mac notebook using an SSD or Flash storage drive with Apple Hardware Test (AHT) diagnostics, you may encounter the following message if the test is looped multiple times:

4HDD/11/40000000:SATA

Resolution

The alert is erroneous and generally takes multiple loops of Apple Hardware Test to induce.

Before starting Apple Hardware Test, looping can be enabled or disabled by pressing the L key on the keyboard. If the message appears and there are also other issues with the computer that appear to be related to the solid state drive (SSD) or Flash storage drive, schedule an appointment at an Apple Retail Store or contact an Apple Service Provider.

Excerpt from Apple Support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4356

Error 4hdd/11/40000000 SATA (0,0) w/ third party hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.