Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log in to Mac remotely with Apple ID

Hello there,

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro and a late 2012 iMac both running Mavericks. I've linked my Apple ID to the admin accounts on both computers and verified (by going into the advanced options for each admin account in Users & Groups) that the Apple ID is actually linked; both my Apple ID email address and the whatever-it-is ID are listed under Aliases.

However, when I try to log in to my Macbook Pro from my iMac using the Apple ID, it fails. It also fails when I try to log in using the MBP user account + password (registered user option). The latter worked a week or so ago, now neither do.

I can log in to the iMac from the Macbook Pro with no problems, using both the option to log in using the Apple ID and as a registered user...

I'm confused. Help?

Cheers!

L

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 7:03 AM

13 replies

Jan 9, 2014 11:58 AM in response to LouisLeLou

I have almost the EXACT same situation, different machines.

Mac Mini 2013 cannot login to Macbook Pro Retina mid 2012

Both on Mavericks 10.9.1

What works

Mac mini can request screen share of the MacBook Pro and get

MacBook Pro can login to Mini and open files (i have the credentials saved and it works without prompting me)

MacBook can get a screen share session from the mini and control the miniu

What doesn't work

Mac Mini cannot log into MacBook Pro . In finder, right above the [connect as] button, it says "connection failed" . I have tried using Apple ID and as a registered user, neither works. What's odd is that screen sharing works.

NOTE: like the OP, this all worked a couple weeks ago. Machines are 2 feet apart on same hub. Now I'm wondering if this started with 10.9.1 but I'm not sure.

Jan 10, 2014 2:33 AM in response to CorsairVelo

Hi CorsairVelo,

Yep your problem seems pretty much identical to mine, it's really quite bizarre.

Although I haven't fixed the problem itself I have found a fairly simple work around:

In Finder, Go -> Connect to Server... In server address: Macbook Pro's afp://(macbookprolocaladdresshere)

Again, the Macbook Pro is the one that won't let me connect to it using my Apple ID. When I use this method, it connects and then shows me as being connected as admin; as if I'd connected using the Apple ID.

Slightly baffling but it works for now! Hope it works for you too.

Jan 10, 2014 2:52 AM in response to LouisLeLou

Thank you, I used the afp:// route and it worked (ironically I tried the smb:// route which didn't work but did not try afp).

However, even using this method I could not connect using my Apple ID, I had to log in using a registered user.... which is fine because that's the way it was working for a couple months before it suddenly stopped.

Anyway, I will run with this for now, thanks for the response. There must be a rare set of attributes driving this or more people would experience it. Thanks again,

Peter G.

Jan 10, 2014 3:20 AM in response to CorsairVelo

I don't actually have to log in or anything using this method. I'm basically using it as a replacement for logging in the traditional way.

What I meant was, when I do this and connect to the root hard drive of the Macbook Pro (or any other folder), it gives me full access and admin privileges. When I click on the icon for my Macbook Pro in the sidebar of a Finder window, it says "connecting..." for a second and then connects and I'm connected as... well me. It would do this before when I'd try logging in in the regular way, except it would always fail.

So for some reason, connecting in this way tricks it somehow, and connects me as if I'd actually signed in using my Apple ID. I think? Or does connecting via afp just give admin privileges by default.

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2014 8:24 PM in response to LouisLeLou

I am having the same troubles:

iMac and MBP with Mavericks installed

AppleID associated with the user account on each computer

The MBP can connect to the iMac (screen and file sharing) with AppleID

The iMac cannot connect to the MBP at all with AppleID, but can connect with the admin username and password

I tried the afp route, and it logs me in as the registered user, not with AppleID. If it connects with AppleID it should show as being connected with your AppleID email address rather than as your username

I also have a Mac Mini with Mavericks, and I can connect to and from it with AppleID from the iMac, so I dont know whats going on with the MBP

Jan 18, 2014 9:35 AM in response to LouisLeLou

I am having the same trouble: fresh clean istallation of Mavericks of both my MacBook Pro and iMac. both Users have same Apple ID set in Users and Gorups. Sharing files and scress are actived on both computers.

When I try to connect (either way) with Apple ID i got a bounce shacky stop!

If istead I try with a Registered User I can smootly connect...

Where is the bug?

Feb 8, 2014 2:26 PM in response to LouisLeLou

I had the same problem after changing my password recently. I solved it by going to System Preferences → Users & Groups → Apple ID [Change...]. I deleted and re-added the Apple ID with new password. Afterwards, restarted the computer and tried logging in again. This time it worked!

For more info, here's an Apple link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13779?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Good luck!

Feb 26, 2014 9:25 AM in response to LouisLeLou

This is vexing me too, and all-of-a-sudden screwing around with my Time Machine backups. I've got a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro two feet from each other, and for months even with Mavericks, I've had no problem connecting between the machines. Now I haven't had a successful Time Machine backup for days because the MacBook Pro can't seem to login to the Mac Pro to find the shared drive.

Mac Pro ---> MacBook Pro: Logs in just fine with Apple ID or registered user, but defaults to Apple ID.

MacBook Pro ----> Mac Pro: Only logs in with registered user, some of the time. When I try to login with Apple ID, the box just shakes.

I've repaired permissions, deleted and re-set up the Apple ID on both machines, deleted old preferences files, rebooted repeatedly, reset the Airport Extreme, to no avail. THEN, I get the "The Mac Pro won't allow any more server connections" and i have to turn File Sharing off and on again in System Preferences.

Ugh. HELP!

Apr 17, 2014 9:45 AM in response to LouisLeLou

I just tried something and seems to fix the issue

First go to Finder - Go - Connect to server connect MBP to iMac using IP address - check the user for Imac

Do same for MBP

What I found is that although I thought that both my computers had my name as the official user there was a difference

On my iMac it am listed as XxxxBbbbConsulting whereas on my MBP my user profile is xxxxbbbb

I then closed finder on both, reopened finder on iMac, selected MBP, connect as xxxxbbbb and password - able to connect to MBP

Checked from MBP by using user as XxxxBbbbConsulting as the user for iMac, entered password - connected

Hope this helps

Can't log in to Mac remotely with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.