Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 3.0 won't save files!

Numbers 3.0 suddenly won't save files on my Macbook Pro.

I opened a .csv file, made some changes in Numbers, and tried to Save to my desktop. I get a window that says "The file '[filename].numbers' couldn't be opened".

I tried to Export to a .xls file, and also Share>Send a Copy>Email and chose Excel as the option. Same message about not being able to open the file.

This makes Numbers totally unusable for me. And for some reason, the old version of Numbers is suddly gone, so no fallback there anymore.

Any tips?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 8:09 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2013 8:33 AM in response to -olso-__

And for some reason, the old version of Numbers is suddly gone, so no fallback there anymore.

Hi Oslo,

Numbers 3 exports to Excel fine on my machine, though it uses the extension .xlsx not .xls.

Same with Share>Send a Copy>Email. Works fine.

So maybe you should try closing Numbers 3 and reopening it, or restarting your Mac.

Your old version of Numbers should still be on your Mac, in a subfolder within Applications named iWork '09 or similar.

SG

Numbers 3.0 won't save files!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.