Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map View, Best way to view only desired locations?

I have large areas peppered with dozens of thumbtack locations, and would like a quick way to view only photos whose thumbtacks are shown in the current map view, without creating a new Smart Album to do so.

iPhoto has this ability, and hoping someone here knows a work-around in Aperture.

It would be nice if manually selecting multiple thumbtacks worked, but only one at a time seems possible.

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 8:37 AM

5 replies

Nov 9, 2013 2:51 AM in response to Rob-K

Rob-K wrote:

I have large areas peppered with dozens of thumbtack locations, and would like a quick way to view only photos whose thumbtacks are shown in the current map view, without creating a new Smart Album to do so.

iPhoto has this ability, and hoping someone here knows a work-around in Aperture.

It would be nice if manually selecting multiple thumbtacks worked, but only one at a time seems possible.

What do you mean by "view only photos"? The only way I know to restrict the Images shown in the Browser is to use a filter.

In all views including Places view the Browser shows the contents of the currently selected container with the current filter applied. You can apply filters based on the Rule "Place" by selecting from the tiles at the top of the map view. You cannot select more than one item at a time, but you can manually add additional "Place" rules to the filter.

You can also apply filters by clicking the small blue-circled arrow that shows when you hover your cursor on the pin label that pops up when you hover over, or select, a pin. This works with only one pin at a time, however.

You should be able to select all Images associated with each pin you click by pressing and holding the Command key while clicking pins one after the other. You could then create a new Album which will show just those selected Images.

I know of no way to create a filter from multiple selected pins.

Léonie's method of zooming out to create new pins will allow you to create a filter based on the newly created pin. Note that the pins change dynamically with the zoom level of the map. But you are still limited to one pin per filter unless you manually add "Place" Rules.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger — reworded for clarity.

Nov 9, 2013 5:04 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

You should be able to select all Images associated with each pin you click by pressing and holding the Command key while clicking pins one after the other.

I considered that methode, Kirby. It will work, when the pins are sparsely distributed, but as soon as a pin is clicked, its lable will occlude the other pin heads, so you cannot select them. You carefully need to plan the sequence of clicking, starting from top to bottom.

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby Krieger wrote:

Rob-K wrote:

What do you mean by "view only photos"? The only way I know to restrict the Images shown in the Browser is to use a filter.

In all views including Places view the Browser shows the contents of the currently selected container with the current filter applied. You can apply filters based on the Rule "Place" by selecting from the tiles at the top of the map view. You cannot select more than one item at a time, but you can manually add additional "Place" rules to the filter.

You can also apply filters by clicking the small blue-circled arrow that shows when you hover your cursor on the pin label that pops up when you hover over, or select, a pin. This works with only one pin at a time, however.

You should be able to select all Images associated with each pin you click by pressing and holding the Command key while clicking pins one after the other. You could then create a new Album which will show just those selected Images.

I know of no way to create a filter from multiple selected pins.

Léonie's method of zooming out to create new pins will allow you to create a filter based on the newly created pin. Note that the pins change dynamically with the zoom level of the map. But you are still limited to one pin per filter unless you manually add "Place" Rules.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger — reworded for clarity.

It would be nice if clicking the "small blue-circled arrow" would react to multiple selected Location Pins, rather than just one!

By "view only photos," I was hoping there is a similar function to iPhoto, in that the current map view, and the Pins shown within that view, can be used to quickly "find" images.

Aperture does have this functionality, but only through creating a new Smart Album. This is located in the "Gear" icon, bottom left in Places view.

User uploaded file

leonieDF, Perhaps the "Hide Place badges" option would help?

Map View, Best way to view only desired locations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.