Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update App Store apps using ARD?

I run a tech desk for a middle school with over 400 computers. I can use ARD to update all Apple OS updates, but cannot update all apps from the Apple App Store. So far, I can only see a method to do this at each individual computers, which is time consuming and can lead to errors. Is there a method, besides running Apple Server, that Apple Remote Desktop can perform updates for Apple Store apps?

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 9:56 AM

11 replies

Nov 14, 2013 7:50 AM in response to davidwick

The order of the arguments that you give is the more usual one, but I don't think the order matters. I just tried the command with the arguments in the order Shawn gave and it worked just fine.

It does not, however, update apps purchased from the Mac App Store. I haven't yet found a way to do that via ARD. From reading other discussions I don't believe that to be possible.

Regards.

Nov 15, 2013 2:41 AM in response to varjak paw

Hi,

I did develop an Applescript that downloaded outstanding updates from the Mac App store, then placed it on the host machine and Launched it from ARD.

Worked fine when there was only one update, then it broke when there were two as the buttons moved around. I eveltually gave up as it was too much work trying to figure it for my small number of 'puters.

Regards,

Shawn

Jan 9, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Tngirl14

Hopefully, you have created a different accounts for students and administrators for each computer (that's how we set up our computers). If so, make the Student account a managed account. That way you can turn off access to the Apple Store (and other applications and settings you don't want them to access) in System Preferences > Accounts > Parental Controls.

How to update App Store apps using ARD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.