Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does iPhoto blow up when I click on import?

I open iPhoto, then click on "import to library" so I can select a file to import, and iPhoto blows up right away. Up comes an long error of some kind that says the error report will be sent to Apple. And, here I am!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 10:30 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2013 10:31 AM in response to whitesalmon133

I have no idea what "blow up" means.

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Nov 8, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5) I guess you guys call what I call a "blow up" a "crash". So, iPhoto "crashes" meaning when click on "import to library" so I can select a jpeg to import, iPhoto disappears from the screen and up comes a "crash report". It's my wifes machine so she isn't savvy enough to be doing much of anything in terms of messing with versions, updates..... The problem just seemed to start recently.... Haven't done much to fix the problem as we're not technical. So, we've done shut down, restart, etc. but that's about it so far. I'll create the crash report and post the first 50 lines.

Nov 8, 2013 1:26 PM in response to whitesalmon133

As a quick fix attempt try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks delete the contents the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder.

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

why does iPhoto blow up when I click on import?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.