Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A newspaper wants one-side 10" and 200 dpi to publish a photo?

I have a MacBook with OS X 10.6.8. A newspaper wants one-side 10" and 200 dpi to publish a photo? I set the photo in question to 8x10 on iPhoto. I know about the "export" function, but it seems to deal only in generalities, "small," "medium" for both size and quality. How can I satisfy the newspaper's criteria?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhoto functions

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 12:04 PM

6 replies

Nov 8, 2013 12:10 PM in response to jillscherb

What are the dimensions of your image, currently?

What version of iPhoto do you have?

Isn't there a "custom" option under Size?

Short answer: the dpi is set when you decide what size you're printing at.

Long Answer: Dpi means nothing in the digital world of your computer. There are no "inches" to have "dots per..." Size is measured in pixels. That's the same on your camera. It doesn't take 10 x 8 or 6 x 4 shots. It takes shots measured in megapixels. For instance 4,000 x 3,000 is a 12 megapixel camera.

Using that example, that shot from that camera has 12 million pixels. So that's how many "Dots" there are. To decide the ratio of dots per inch, you now need to decide the "inches" part. And that's printing. Print at 10 x 8 and the dpi will be 4,000/10 or about 400 dpi. At 6 x 4 then it's 4,000/6 or 660 dpi. Work the other way: Print at 300 dpi and the resulting image will be about 13 inches on the longer side.

So, your photo as a fixed number of pixels. Changing the dimensions of the print will vary the dpi, changing the dpi will vary the dimensions of the print.

For more see http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Regards

TD

A newspaper wants one-side 10" and 200 dpi to publish a photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.