Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finding replacement xServe RAID Drive Modules for sale

I've just started a new IT job and inherited an xServe (snow leopard) and xServe RAID

I'm not an expert on either. I've some experience with OS X Server, but I've never been a full on server admin.

One drive is dead. I believe they're 500GB units in the first six bays.

I also believe this is the most recent xServe RAID hardware. Purchased in 2008 or so.

So, first, where on earth would I buy a replacement?

And assuming that's possible, what are people's suggestions for buying drive modules for the other bays, and replacement parts for the xServe itself (power suppies, etc.).

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 12:30 PM

3 replies

Nov 9, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Nicolas diPierro

first of all i don't have experience with proprietary Apple products, but typically i believe you can buy any hard drive so long as the interface is compatible (SATA or SAS for example) and the size is the same. there should not be a need to buy 'special Apple xserve hard drives'. if you buy a drive larger than 500 GB then the extra space beyond 500 GB will just be ignored depending on the type of RAID you have setup. definitely do not buy a disk smaller than 500 GB. pull out the disk that is bad and see what the make/model is. my xserve uses Seagate drives so you could probably just search eBay or whatever for the model number of the drive and use that. the hard drive should be able to be removed from the caddy so you don't really need a whole new "module".

as for power supplies those are proprietary and will need to be purchased thru apple or somewhere else like eBay, just search for the part number...

finding replacement xServe RAID Drive Modules for sale

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.