Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop alerts to turn on cellular in IOS 7

Whenever I open an app in IOS 7 on my iPhone 5s, and wi-fi is not available, I get an alert asking if I wish to turn on cellular data. How can I disable these alerts?

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 12:53 PM

28 replies

Nov 8, 2013 2:04 PM in response to sinoue

I don't want to turn off cellular data, just stop getting reminders to turn it on for certain apps I don't want to use it for.

Nov 8, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Ralph9430

I am using cellular, both for phone, and for certain apps, so that I wish to keep it always turned on. However, when I open certain apps that I don't wish to use cellular for, but only wi-fi exclusively, I get a little pop-up notice asking if I want to turn on cellular for those apps. I do not. This is very frustrating and annoying, so I would like to know if there is any way to stop these short of turning off cellular completely. I didn't get these notices before upgrading to Mavericks, but i don't want to downgrade to Snow Leopard.

Jan 21, 2014 4:10 PM in response to Community User

I think I may have a temp solution. go to Settings and turn on Mobile Data. Then in the list below select use mobile data for those applications which this reminder is annoying you for. Once you have done that go back up and turn mobile data off. This seems to be working for me when I use Music & Calendars (at least so far it is). If someone could let us know if they have success/failure.

Feb 21, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Community User

I disagree with the comment that this is behaving exactly the way you told it to. This is not doing what I told it to do at all...

I set up my app Gas Cubby to never use cellular (there is no need for it to be connected to anything online), so that if for some reason it were to start using data, it can only do it on WIFI and not jeopardize my data plan.

I can think of no reason to receive a pop-up notifying me that I chose to turn off Cellular when I use this app. Even if I needed a network connection for an app, I should not be notified, as it is on me to make sure that my settings are correct.

This needs to be fixed or give us the option to disable this notification.

Mar 2, 2014 8:01 PM in response to Community User

I hope the people at Apple can reincorporate some of the "Jobs" era, where customer/user experience was paramount, or at least in the top echelon. I believe it’s currently a "back seat" consideration. The irritating message that “Cellular Data Is Turned Off For %Appname%”, discussed here in this Apple.com discussions public forum, and Apples refusal to change it, is case in point. This “feature” may be performing as Apple and the cellular carriers designed it too, but it is not what consumers want. In fact, this “Feature” lacks the ability to perform as the consumer asked. If the user SPECIFICALLY takes the time & trouble to learn where the settings are to limit data consumption & control cost, they should not be constantly bombarded by an annoying message regarding a situation they are already financially & painfully aware of, and went so far as to manually turn data use off. Take a moment to recall the Apple ads where the annoyance of the User Account Control feature included in Windows Vista sold many Macs. I guess the tables have turned. So, here are my questions; Are Apple & the wireless carriers colluding to cause users to consume more data? Is there some contract the carriers have over Apple that prohibits this message from being permanently disabled? If the answer is truly “NO” on both counts then there is a simple solution I would like to suggest. Simply include a checkbox in the setting for each app that cellular data has been turned off for, that instructs iOS to “Do Not Warn That Cellular Data Is Turned Off For %Appname%”, or maybe a “global” setting for all apps, that instructs iOS to “Do Not Warn That Cellular Data Is Turned Off”. So, I would like to challenge EVERYBODY at Apple to stand up and have the guts to fix this super extremely annoying & downright dangerous alert message. PLEASE give us the ability to permanently dismiss this alert message.

Mar 7, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Community User

Does Apple monitor these forums and use them to determine customer impact? If so then ask folks you know to add a comment to this post and bookmark it publicly so Apple can judge the impact of this issue. Unfortunately given the size of Apple's install base you are likely to need many hits on this topic before they can take notice of it.

This pop-up is unlike Apple in my opinion. They usually provide a very nice user experience but this warning is just stupid. Yeah, I know that the app cannot use cell data because I'm the one that configured it! Duh!

Mar 7, 2014 6:32 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

"...as explained in the terms of the service to which your agreed when signing up for this forum."

That response seems a bit snarky, but I'm probably reading too much into that. I'd readily admit that I likely didn't read the terms closely when I signed up and since they were not put in front of me today honest truth is that I probably wouldn't have remembered even if I had.

So I guess we all go to www.apple.com/feedback individually.

Apple has always been pretty good with the UI stuff anyway. Maybe they already realize this popup is not in line with thier typical user experience goals.

Apr 14, 2014 5:42 PM in response to Community User

The system is doing what you said, but the frequency of feedback is all wrong... It makes sense to be one notice per affected app, not one notice whenever the foreground app trying to access WiFi that isn't there. Especially since this notice seems to pause the current foreground app. This issue bit me when I was driving, the Podcast app paused to let me know Cellular Data was turned off for it.

Looks like a bug in iOS to me.... reported: https://bugreport.apple.com

Stop alerts to turn on cellular in IOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.