Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install the latest version of Java

I currently have java 1.0.6_65 installed. I downloaded version 7 of java and tried installing it. It said the installation was successful but when I went to Terminal and entered java -version it said version 1.0.6_65 was installed. In Mavericks when I did the same thing It said I couldn't install it because I did not downloaded it from the Apple Store. I went to the Apple Store but there is no Java JRE download available. What going on here?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:54 PM

6 replies

Nov 8, 2013 8:14 PM in response to Lefkows

click system preferences //Java// the //Java control panel// should open then look for the update button but you should see the latest version(Java7 update 45) on the panel if you have not clicked the auto update. (uninstall the old Java ) using the uninstall program...or drag to trash ...?

I use this in X-Plane.org and downloaded from "Java" web site. i hope this helped ... running // OS X 10.8.5 // 27"iMac 16 GB// ...

captbullett

Nov 20, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Lefkows

My computer is the same way. It's because the terminology is confusing. The Java that terminal refers to is the JRE installed (e.g. for Java-based programs on your computer - not in the web browser). The Java 7 update 45 in your browser (and the one the preferences pane) refers to the plugin package in your internet plug-ins folder. Basically, it's nothing to worry about.

Unable to install the latest version of Java

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.