Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder not displaying files?

Occasionally the finder will not disaply the dontents of a folder. Here the the files on the desktop are not displaying. If I click on another folder then back to the desktop the files correctly display...

Any thoughts?

Thaks

Monty

User uploaded file

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:13 PM

10 replies

Jan 22, 2014 8:13 AM in response to montymo

SUCCESS!
(at least apparent, temporary success...)

Here is what worked for me:

1) Open Finder and navigate to this location:

HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration

2) Find the file named preferences.plist

3) Rename the file to preferences.plist.old (this preserves the data in case you need to restore the file for some reason)

4) Your system will then rebuild the preferences.plist file (not sure whether that happenes immediately or upon rebooting).

Let me know if this worked for you. This instantly solved my problem with Finder and Open/Save dialogs displaying files slowly, and I'll keep an alias to that location on my desktop so I can repeat the process if the slow behavior reappears. Hopefully Apple will fix whatever is causing this problem with preferences.plist.

Have a great day!

finder not displaying files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.