Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Character Viewer?

What happen to the Character Pallette (aka: Character Viewer). ??

I no longer see anything in System> Keyboard....

It allowed using foreign language accents...had math symbols...other cool stuff, even some emitocons (sp?) etc.

Anybody know how to find it in Mavericks?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB,Trackpad, Wacom, MIDI, Cameras

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:59 PM

Character Viewer is still there in OS X Mavericks. To access to it, open System Preferences > Keyboard, and tick "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar".

User uploaded file

Then, press the viewer button on the menu bar (at the top right part of the display) and open Character Viewer.

You can also open it from any application, by going to Edit menu (on the menu bar) > Special Characters

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2013 1:59 PM in response to 60wpm

Character Viewer is still there in OS X Mavericks. To access to it, open System Preferences > Keyboard, and tick "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar".

User uploaded file

Then, press the viewer button on the menu bar (at the top right part of the display) and open Character Viewer.

You can also open it from any application, by going to Edit menu (on the menu bar) > Special Characters

Dec 11, 2013 4:14 PM in response to mende1

Add my thanks. I couldn't find it - and didn't connect that checkbox with what I was looking for. I think this was always on by default before - if you're listening Apple, why turn this off?

Also, the first Apple support topic I found via a Google search said "open the Character Viewer" but never said how to find it! If I knew that I wouldn't have needed support in the first place

I greatly appreciate the support of other users who appear to be much more useful than help topics that don't offer anything actionable!

Where is the Character Viewer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.