Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make mac os x Lion boot disk

Hello everyone,

So my iMac won't boot and I want to try to boot it using a startup disk, however, my mac os X lion was digital and I do not have a physical copy of it.

So I wanted to know if it's possible to create a mac os x Lion boot disk for my mac on another mac computer? and how?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:44 PM

2 replies

Nov 8, 2013 5:41 PM in response to josukim

Once you’ve purchased Lion, find the Lion installer on your Mac. It’s called Install Mac OS X Lion.app and it should have been downloaded to /Applications.

Right-click (or Control+click) the installer, and choose Show Package Contents from the resulting contextual menu. In the folder that appears, open Contents, then open Shared Support; you’ll see a disk-image file called InstallESD.dmg. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities). Drag the InstallESD.dmg disk image into Disk Utility’s left-hand sidebar.

The next steps depend on whether you want to create a bootable hard drive or flash drive, or a bootable DVD.

I recommend a hard drive or flash drive—a DVD will work, but it takes a long time to boot and install.

To create a bootable hard drive or flash drive In Disk Utility, select InstallESD.dmg in the sidebar, and then click the Open button in the toolbar. This mounts the disk image’s volume in the Finder. The mounted volume is called Mac OS X Install ESD. Click Mac OS X Install ESD in Disk Utility’s sidebar, then click the Restore button in the main part of the window. Drag the Mac OS X Install ESD icon into the Source field on the right (if it isn’t already there). Connect to your Mac the hard drive or flash drive you want to use for your bootable Lion installer. This drive must be at least 5GB in size (an 8GB flash drive works well), and it must be formatted with a GUID Partition. In Disk Utility, find this destination drive in the sidebar and then drag it into the Destination field on the right; if the destination drive has multiple partitions, just drag the partition you want to use as your bootable installer volume. Warning: The next step will erase the destination drive or partition, so make sure it doesn’t contain any valuable data. Click Restore and, if prompted, enter an admin-level username and password.

The restore procedure will take anywhere from five to 15 minutes, depending on your Mac and the speed of your drive.

How to make mac os x Lion boot disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.