Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data loss when importing to iPhoto?

I just uploaded a bunch of new photos and noticed that the file size for most is much smaller in iPhoto than on the desktop. I am not aware of any settable compression options in iPhoto....did I miss something? For example, on the desktop Get Info for one file shows 5.1M, and in iPhoto it shows 3.1M, both with the same number of pixels. Thoughts?

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Jon, that is reilly weird.

How are you importing to iPhoto, and how are you comparing the sizes?

iPhoto has been designed to preserve the quality of any imported photo - the lossless workflow is one of the main features of iPhoto. It should not happen, that the filesize changes on import to iPhoto. iPhoto is supposed to store the original photo exactly "as is". So where do you see the smaller file size in iPhoto? What kind of photos did you import? Jpeg, raw?

Léonie

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Jon Crystal

Jon, that is reilly weird.

How are you importing to iPhoto, and how are you comparing the sizes?

iPhoto has been designed to preserve the quality of any imported photo - the lossless workflow is one of the main features of iPhoto. It should not happen, that the filesize changes on import to iPhoto. iPhoto is supposed to store the original photo exactly "as is". So where do you see the smaller file size in iPhoto? What kind of photos did you import? Jpeg, raw?

Léonie

Nov 8, 2013 11:14 PM in response to Jon Crystal

I used GetInfo in the finder version, and Info within iPhoto to compare. All files were JPEG Image files. A few files show the same size, most are smaller in iPhoto.....

Have you looked at the file that iPhoto is storing?

With "File > Reveal in Finder > Original file"? Does it show the same size as your version on the Desktop?

Have you edited your file in iPhoto after import? The edited jpegs may have different sizes , but the info panel should show the size of the original and not of the edited version.

Data loss when importing to iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.