Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Nano 7th generation touch interface is now screwed with due to apple update.

Hi, I recently purchased a new laptop switching over from a macbook pro 2010 of which the logicboard died. In this newly configured windows 7 64 bit laptop I downloaded the latest itunes. I then connected my ipod nano 7th generation to it and it requested to format it since it was formatted for a mac. I did so and restored my ipod nano 7th generation. After this however my previously perfectly working nano touch interface (swiping, touch to select) is now completely messed up. This has to be due to the formatting and/or the new nano update or itunes update from apple. I can't even swipe to the right or left to move between screen interfaces on my nano anymore. As well the touch icons require double taps and have rectangular white selection boxes over each icon (NOT NORMAL)

Overall I am very displeased and want apple to fix this with either a new firmware nano 7th generation update or apple itunes update for windows 7 64bit. I'm thinking of buying a replacement iphone 4 but now that this issue is prevalent how can I TRUST Apple that nothing wrong will occur with connecting a new iphone 4 to my itunes on a windows 7 64 bit PC.

I am NOT the only one with this issue as you can check out for yourself: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130727205241AAOmiuC

REASON FOR POSTING THIS HERE: I want more exposure to this issue. I couldn't get access to customer support since my ipod nano 7th generation is over a year old. This is cruel but whatever, Apple does what it wants and I will post this here to do what I want. Gain exposure to this defect that clearly Apple is not addressing since the above link displays a user with the same issue and posted the problem 3 months ago.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS APPLE

iPod nano, Other OS

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 10:14 AM

Hi ImAMinion.

Very good question. I should have explained that part. VoiceOver changes how the navigation functions so it's a little tricky.

From the home screen I got to settings by swiping up and down instead of the normal left and right.

To open settings I first tapped once on the settings icon so that the box appeared around the icon. Then I double tapped the icon to open it.

I repeated the "tap once to get the box then double tap to open" process to navigate through the settings menu. Navigate to: Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> VoiceOver -> set to off. Once it's off the navigation will return to normal.

Hope that helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2013 10:14 AM in response to ImAMinion

Hi ImAMinion.

Very good question. I should have explained that part. VoiceOver changes how the navigation functions so it's a little tricky.

From the home screen I got to settings by swiping up and down instead of the normal left and right.

To open settings I first tapped once on the settings icon so that the box appeared around the icon. Then I double tapped the icon to open it.

I repeated the "tap once to get the box then double tap to open" process to navigate through the settings menu. Navigate to: Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> VoiceOver -> set to off. Once it's off the navigation will return to normal.

Hope that helps.

Dec 27, 2013 6:47 PM in response to DosEquis107

I encountered the same problem with my 7th generation iPod after restoring on a Windows 7 computer. The solution for me was to turn off VoiceOver on the ipod. On the iPod this is located in Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> VoiceOver -> set to off.

The solution was given to me by an employee at the apple store genius bar. The "retangular white selection boxes" that you saw are a telltale sign that voiceover is active. Once mine was turned off the I was able to control the iPod normally. As for how voiceover was turned on in the first place, it seems to have something to do with restoring the iPod in Windows 7 but it's unclear.

Hope that helps.

Nov 8, 2013 6:48 PM in response to DosEquis107

Your mistake was when you formatted your Nano.

To use an iPod that has been previously been used with a Mac you Restore it in iTunes, you do not format it.

Which format did you format it with on your Windows computer?

I would suggest that you connect it to your computer and Restore it as a new device in iTunes then try it again.

This isn't an issue Apple needs to do anything about and it doesn't need broader airing. And telephone support for an iPod is 90 days unless you buy AppleCare in which case it extends the warranty and phone support to 2 years.

Nov 8, 2013 7:11 PM in response to deggie

Hi, I don't mean to trounce on your answer but that is the very first thing I did as I am not one to complain before attempting solutions out. Thanks for replying however to my question, as this was my intent to gain a response.

I restored the ipod via itunes many times since the problem to no avail. It was my mistake to think formatting the ipod nano wouldn't have its share of negative effects but what happened is irreversible as it seems on a windows 7 itunes media player.

I will attempt to re-format the nano by connecting to another friend's mac itunes. Perhaps this should solve the issue at hand. If so I will post up here as my intent to to help others with similar issues.

Right now my itunes states that the Ipod Nano is in 'Windows' Format.

Ipod Nano 7th generation touch interface is now screwed with due to apple update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.