Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not working when iPhone goes to sleep with Twitter is the active app

Hi,

When my iPhone goes in sleep mode with Twitter being launch and being the active app on the creen, then Touch ID does not recognize any finger print and keeps asking "Try again" and the only way to unlock the iPhone is to type the code. Anyone noticed the same pbm?

Cheers,

Olivier

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iPhoto - iPhone 4 and 5S - Maverick

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 6:14 PM

24 replies

Nov 12, 2013 5:10 PM in response to OlivierP_MD

Hello, I have same problem, but it isn't just twitter. My husband has been having the same problem and he doesn't use twitter. We can't figure out what app he is using that would cause this to happen. I don't think it is an app, I think it is either iOS or the hardware. BTW Joe_Fo, I lock at two minutes and have the problem. Again, I don't think it is twitter.

Nov 13, 2013 3:59 AM in response to dominicnyc

Odd. I tried it several times and it did not fail. So I started to write a tweet and after the kbd came up, let the screen timeout and lock. Boom, Touch ID would not unlock, passcode did.

Thought I had something repeatable, but tried several times and it unlocked without a problem each time.

Checked for a crash or low memory log and there are none. Will keep trying to get it to fail and report it as well.

Nov 15, 2013 11:37 AM in response to Joe_Fo

Trying to get a failure last night, I had about 35 apps in background, and either mail or Twitter active. After the screen locked, I tried something like 10 minutes later to unlock, and it wasn't reading the print properly, refusing to unlock. Before the 5'th attempt, I swiped from the "Enter Passcode" screen back to the "slide to unlock" screen, pulled up the control panel, swiped the control back away, and placed my finger on the home button. ***The finger was accepted and the phone unlocked***

Credit for this goes to someone else. Not sure where I read this, might have been in this thread, might have been on MacRumors, but someone said opening something on the control panel allowed TID to work again. I only opened then closed the control panel and it worked.

-Joe

Nov 17, 2013 10:47 AM in response to Joe_Fo

I have experienced this as well. I actually thought it was a bug since I didn't come across this myself when I was trying to get my touchID issue figured out. At the time I didn't think I touched the IDprint long enough to even get into the home screen, but now think that I must have. Interesting that it is a way to reenable the touchID. One thing I have been doing lately even while twitter is running in the background is really letting my thumb overexaggerate covering the button. The touchID seems to like this and has been responding pretty well. I also cleaned it with screen cleaner.

Nov 19, 2013 5:25 PM in response to Simon Rascovsky1

There was a Twitter App Update a few hours ago. I can't confirm if the issue is still present, I believe it is.

I don't know how to reproduce it in order to check that.

Anyway, Apple Engineering has requested me a series of logs in order to further investigate this issue.

I'm also running iOS 7.1 beta, since I'm a registered developer, and the issue is still present.

Will keep you posted.

Nov 26, 2013 1:10 AM in response to OlivierP_MD

Yes I have the exact same issue. As a test I decided to delete the Twitter app (and installed another Twitter client Twittelator Neue) for an entire week. After deleting the Official Twitter app I never had a single issue with TouchID (I never re-registered my finger prints). TouchID worked as it should after that. I then reinstalled the official Twitter app since there was a new version released to see if it still caused issues, and within a short time, maybe 30 minutes, after I installed Twitter, TouchID again stopped working when I went to unlock my iPhone 5s. I again deleted Twitter and so far have had no issues with TouchID at all.

Dec 30, 2013 10:11 AM in response to OlivierP_MD

Was also having this issue. Touch ID failed at least 50 times for me and every single time, Twitter was the app running. Note that it didn't fail every time I sleep the device with twitter.app running, but it was always twitter running when it did fail. I noticed that if I wake the device, wait until the slide to unlock message appears before applying my finger to touch id, it seemed much more likely to work, but once it has failed, letting it sleep and trying with patience again doesn't work. You just had to enter your passcode manually... like an animal.

Taking the advice given here by spacemarine288, I deleted the twitter app, restarted (probably unnecessary), reinstalled it. Seems to have fixed it. Yay!

Touch ID not working when iPhone goes to sleep with Twitter is the active app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.