Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Sidebar SHARED Naming error

I have a 2006 Mac Pro running Snow Leoplard, and a 2009 Mac Mini running Mavericks, both on the same home network.

In the Sidebar on both machines, in the SHARED section, one or both of two NAS I run constantly sometimes appear with their name in all caps. The real name of each NAS is Clc. If I attempt to mount the incorrectly named NAS (all caps) it either fails, or mounts with limited permissions (read only). Rebooting the affected computer does sometimes fix the problem. This problem does seem to occur when a computer has been asleep, but often persistents with a reboot.

One NAS is G-Connect running its native G-only wi-fi (with a wired connection for Internet access through this wireless), the other NAS is a Business Seagate 2 Bay running Raid Mirrored, dual wired connection, segmented on two switches, each connecting to Comcast box separately. Mac Pro has dual wired connection, also segmented like the Seagate. I am running the Xfinity wi-fi as well. I also run Airport Express as its own G&N combined wifi. No wi-fi problems. Sometimes Time Machine has problems for the same all caps naming problems. Doing Time Machine backups on the G-Connect only. All wi-fis are named uniquely with Clc. No problems sharing between Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

Now, I can get around the Finder Sidebar naming mistake by manually mounting the desired NAS thriough the Menu "Go>Connect to Server" command. But I'd like to have the Finder Sidebar operate correctly.

What is happening? Is this a Unix error? An error of the Apple OS interpreting the Unix? Why does the same thing happen on such dispaate machines and Oses? How to fix?

I cannot find another article in Apple Support Communities discussing this problem.

Sincerely,

Rich

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Parallels XP

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 7:04 PM

1 reply

Finder Sidebar SHARED Naming error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.