Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstalling

When uninstalling a program, will dragging the program to the trash and emptying it remove all files related to the program? I know that most programs have files in the system folder -- are these removed when the application is deleted?

Thanks!

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 9, 2006 7:44 PM

2 replies

Jul 9, 2006 7:51 PM in response to Charlie Sneath

Charlie

No they are not.
Dragging an application to the trash is generally sufficient to uninstall most programs. But, that doesn't delete every file associated with it. To delete preference files or cache files, you need to do that manually. Even the few programs for OSX that come with uninstallers don't delete every file.

What I normally do to delete an application and all files is to use the search function in the finder or use spotlight to search that application name. It will find most or all files associated with it. Then, I delete the ones that I am sure apply to that application.

Uninstalling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.