Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay Extended Display No Sound From TV

When I extend my desktop from my MacBook Pro 15" mid-2012 model to my tv connected via Apple TV, I can move windows to and from either screen no problem, but I cannot get sound to play through the speakers on my tv for some reason. I've tried going into system preferences and manually changing the sound output device from the computer's speakers to the Apple TV, but it will not allow me to select the Apple TV. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this issue. Has anyone ben able to resolve this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 10:22 AM

Just had the same problem. Extended my MBA desktop to my TV via Apple TV to stream some TV, video worked fine, but audio was coming from the MBA.

In Preferences, Sound it shows the Apple TV available for sound output, but won't let you select it.

What fixed it for me was restarting the Apple TV - working now.

37 replies

Dec 21, 2013 12:59 PM in response to noa_a

I have the same problem. Found this solution to another problem. Might help in order to be able to select AppleTV for Audio using Alt+Volume menu.

warhummer

It's a bug that seems to pop up occasionally after waking the computer from Sleep. Either reboot or open a terminal windows and paste:

sudo kill `ps -ax | grep 'coreaudiod' | grep 'sbin' |awk '{print $1}'`

Jan 10, 2014 9:39 AM in response to _jblackburn_

I had this same exact problem and restarting it also got the sound to start coming out of my TV. To be clear, it was working just fine yesterday, and then this morning after the ATV box had "slept" for a while, I can select the display, but the sound does not automatically transfer along with the video to the external display. (I also cannot select the display in my audio settings: as someone else mentioned, the option is there, but when you click on it, the system doesnt allow you to select it). This is an annoying problem and should be fixed - restarting the ATV every time this happens isn't a great daily "fix"

Jan 20, 2014 8:42 AM in response to _jblackburn_

I have noticed this bug for months now. It looks like it was introduced during an Apple TV update. It was working 100% until a few months ago and it is now getting very annoying. It used to happen rarely at the beginning. Now, very often, almost every day, I get no sound on the TV when I use Airplay from any of my devices. It happens whether I Airplay from my iPad, iPhone or Macbook. I can restart all my devices but it doesn't solve the problem. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi from my iPhone, but that has not worked for me. Sound only works after I restart Apple TV. So at least in my case, the problem bug is on the Apple TV. Next time, I will disconnect WiFi from the Apple TV to see if that helps, but to be honest, for me it is easier to just disconnect the Apple TV from the AC power to reboot it.

Jan 26, 2014 10:53 PM in response to _jblackburn_

TOTALLY crazy - same thing happening almost every day. cannot choose AppleTV in Sound - switches back to Internal. Worked last week twice but this bug needs to be corrected!!!

What a pain - Restarted both ATV and the NEW MacBook Pro - no help - isn't working at all now

Just a real pain - Can someone help? I read it may be a coreaudio problem? Tried closing that and restarting - nothinig

Help please

Feb 18, 2014 10:27 AM in response to _jblackburn_

I have had this happen every day. We use the AppleTV to stream an online class for all of my kids to watch. I have to either reboot my computer, reboot the AppleTV or both. Turning Wifi off and then back on on my MBP helped today. I am not sure if it will help everytime. I do know that my MBP, running Mavericks, has had all kinds of Wifi issues. I have to constantly turn off the wifi and turn it back on so I can "find" my printer. Seems like a wifi issue.

I agree about that these things should just work. I have paid too much on Ipads, Ipods, MBP, AppleTV, etc to NOT have them work!

AirPlay Extended Display No Sound From TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.