Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get video file and iTunes Extra to show as one file in iTunes?

When I purchase a movie in iTunes with iTunes Extras, after the download is finished in the "Movies" and "Genres" view they appear as one file. You click on the cover, it opens, shows the "Play iTunes Extra" button as well as a small Play arrow button next to the title to play the movie directly. Only in "List" view do they appear as separate files.

How can I achieve that for my own iTunes extra? I tried giving the .ite the same XID as the movie file but that didn't work, they continue to appear as separate files in iTunes and the little play button when expanding the iTunes Extra doesn't work obviously. Anyone can tell me how this is done?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 11:32 PM

7 replies

Jun 12, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Arielreyes001

I came across your post on "lacing" together the movie and extras. If you could share any information you have that would be great.

I've been experimenting with the old version 1.1 simply so I can create my own. I have documentation from Apple that still works but one item that is confusing are chapters. It particular, how iTunes Extras "knows" where to go in the film when you select a chapter. I've tried adding chapter markers but has no effect. Is there a timecode that goes somwhere in the controllers, manifest, or plist?

Thanks in advance

Jun 17, 2017 4:49 PM in response to DrCrane

Looks like I found the answer.

Chapters are indicated as normal in the video file (tx3g). The issue is iTunes.

iTunes 12.5 does not appear to support the chapter indexing (TuneKit code) when playing a video. iTunes 11 does still support the code TuneKit.

The newer Extras are streaming formats which of course means your "extra" content (videos, photos, etc) are meant to reside in the cloud. I'm guessing that will prohibit those of who want to create our own extras but keep all the assets locally.

Mar 24, 2014 10:27 AM in response to SnakeBaitVictim

Ok, I finally figured it out... there is 2 files that play a critical role in this

first is manifest.xml

in this file ensure that the library_item type string references the xid for your video file, and it has to be a proper xid. The iAd Producer manual explains how to create one if it does

example:

<library_item type="video" local_id="feature" xid="TEST:uuid:C7AE7CED-3F60-4C08-AA01-E3F9647B95CC" name="Your Movie"/>

second file and even more critical is iTunesMetadata.plist. There is a couple of strings in there that lace the iTunes Extra to the film and vice versa

<key>itemId</key>
<integer>987654321</integer>
<key>itemName</key>
<string>Your Movie - iTunes Extras</string>

The first is a unique 9 digit number that identifies your iTunes Extra file, the second is the name of the file that should follow the convention "Your Movie Title - iTunes Extras"

<key>playlistId</key>
<integer>123456789</integer>
<key>playlistName</key>
<string>Your Movie</string>

This is what ties it back to the movie file, we will come back to it later where in the movie MetaData you need to place this 9 digit string

<key>xid</key>
<string>TEST:uuid:C7AE7CED-3F60-4C08-AA01-E3F9647B95CC_ITUNES_EXTRAS</string>

This is the convention in how to properly xid your iTunes Extra, it is your movie's XID with "_ITUNES_EXTRAS" added to the end of it

<key>Name File</key>
<string>Your Movie - iTunes Extras.ite</string>
<key>associated-adam-ids</key>
<array>

The first is self explanatory but the second is again this 9 digit number that you will need to place into the meta data of your movie. It is what will make iTunes lace the two files together

<key>xid-asset-mapping</key>
<dict>
<key>TEST:uuid:C7AE7CED-3F60-4C08-AA01-E3F9647B95CC</key>
<array>
</array>
<key>TEST:uuid:C7AE7CED-3F60-4C08-AA01-E3F9647B95CC_ITUNES_EXTRAS</key>
<array>
<integer>987654321</integer>
</array>
</dict>

This is the last critical piece, it laces the two files tigthly together. Now the 9 digit number counting down from 9 is part of the unique ID of the iTunes Extra, the 9 digit number counting up from 1 needs to be put into the metadata of your movie. The annotation type for this is "contentID".

That's pretty much it. If you did it right your files will now appear as one file in cover view just like a movie bought in the store.

The easiest to do this right is to grab the manifest.xml and iTunesMetadata.plist from an iTunes store movie and copy paste and edit it for your purposes, which is what I did.

Cheers everyone!

How to get video file and iTunes Extra to show as one file in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.