Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't quit without a force quit in Mavericks

Installed OS Mavericks on my Macbook Pro (intel core i7) and now Mail hangs nearly every time I try to quit out of it. It simply will not quit. Key commands don't work, the menu bar dropdown doesn't work, and the dock icon doesn't work. I know that I can force quit (and I do), but that's not a solution to the problem. Does anyone know what's going on, or how to fix it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 12:24 AM

22 replies

Dec 3, 2013 5:37 PM in response to rocksinmypockets

I have the same problem since Lion, Mountain Lion & now Mavericks. Thought Apple solved this issue in Mavericks latest Mac OS, unfortunately no. I still have to Force Quit my mail which is very annoying. This issue is getting worse & more fraquent for me to force quit each & every time I want to shut down my Mac.

I'm not sure whether I should change to 3rd party mail app or just wait for the next update to solve the mail problem.

Feb 18, 2014 8:39 PM in response to rocksinmypockets

I had the same problem but I think that I found the solution based in this post:

http://www.thewebernets.com/2011/09/22/mac-mail-requires-force-quit-computer-won t-shut-down/

I just change the "check for new messages" time in mail preferences (general) from "automatic" to "every minute" and this solved the problem.

I have a MacBook Pro (retina display) with Mac os in spanish.

I hope that this help you

Mail won't quit without a force quit in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.