Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow macs, high CPU, systemstats and other Mavericks assorted problems

I have a slowness problems from thesystemstats process going nuts on my MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010) whit OS X Mavericks (10.9).

I'll describe it and then I'll ask a question.

Every time it happend, using native Activity Monitor I see (at least) one systemstats process high on CPU and memory usage (80% to 100% or more CPU and more than 1.5 Gb RAM usage). This process heavilyslow down my sistem for long times, I do now know if ever this process stop as I resolve to simply kill it.

Using terminal I can see sometimes more than one systemstats process running as this:

$ ps -ef | grep -i stat
    0   132     1   0 Dom09pm ??         0:00.00 /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
    0   372     1   0 Dom09pm ??         6:59.94 /usr/sbin/systemstats --xpc
    0   508     1   0 Dom09pm ??         0:14.40 /usr/libexec/systemstatsd
    0 22386     1   0  4:53pm ??        44:19.74 /usr/sbin/systemstats --daily

I investigated further this "systemstats --xpc" and "systemstats --daily" process and I find that there are this LaunchDaemons plists:

$ ll /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/  | grep -i systemstat
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   559B 26 Ott 13:13 com.apple.systemstats.analysis.plist
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   578B 26 Ott 13:13 com.apple.systemstats.daily.plist

You can use "plutil -p /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.systemstats.daily.plist" to see what they do, I find that "systemstats --daily" was setup to lauch at 00:15 every day and "systemstats --xpc" was probably set up to star on demand.

As it is scheduled to start every night, this partially explain why I find this rouge process hoggin my resurces every day (and I have to kill it).

As a side note, I have find the rougue "systemstats --xpc"process running after I use the "Energy" tab on Activity Monitor for the first time and I have to kill it).

Another face of my problem is (probably)that using in terminal the command "systemstats -a", that is suppose to "Show all available statistics" it never terminate and struck on another big CPU and memory hog (it print countless pages of silly statistics but never terminate, I have to ctrl-c it).

Now my question to the community:

As I suspect that the other reports here on Apple Support Communities about "slow" mac on Maverics are somehow related to this "systemstats" process I ask you to report here if you find this "systemstats" hog on you Mavericks.

... and now the moment everyone was waiting for:

### Appendix :The mighty corner of personal complaints

Apple, what the h*** are you trying to do with Mavericks ?

There are user reports about a lot of problems (some mac very slow & high CPU & High RAM use & warms up & fan spin up, some have video problems, Garageband 10.0.1 broke guitar lessons, _fill_in_your_own_problem_ , ....).

I'm unhappy about Maverics overall , it seem to me that Apple rushed out Maverics and deliverd it too early and with too many problems unsolved yet.

They give Maverics for free and that's exactlywhat is worth: it's worth nothing (for now at least).

I'm unhappy because I'm saddly aware thatApple is trying to save debug money using ALL apple customer to do it. This is the same crappy pratice that Microsoft ( to name the biggest but not the only ) use regularly.

But wasn't Apple suppose to be different?

In this moment it is exactly the same.

And plese, no not suggest me to do NVR reset (I did it already) nor suggest me some other silly "I-do-not-understand-you-problem-but-do-the-reset-reinstall-stock-thing-and-be- happy" false solution.

For completeness of information: yes, I have a woking Timemachine backup but NO I'll not waste my time restoring Mountain Lion. That's a Microsoft plague (and horribleframe of mind) that I'll NOT follow, I'm sick and tired to have to do a fresh install (or a full restore of a previous version of O.S. that's pratically the same wast of time) because the vendor (Apple or Microsof or someone else) do NOT do thing well enough.

My humble and very personal opinion is that to obtain this level of "customer experience and satisfaction" is better to spend my (next) money on something else, like a bare and stock portable (or desktop) plus a good linux distro.

For now think that if the situation does not improves (next Maverics upgrades) and I have to re-install, I'll 'd like to try something differer like Ubuntu or something. Does anyone know for sure if the Applelicense prohibits somehow to install other OS on Apple hardware?? I think not but I'm not sure.

Just my own two cents, you mileage my (and will) vary, please do not beat me too hard, if you can.

END of The mighty corner of personal complaints

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 1:35 AM

14 replies

Nov 12, 2013 2:20 AM in response to shashinka golfer

@shashinka ; I'm sorry I did not tell it before but I have maxed out memory RAM on my MacBook (I got 8 GB in total) well before Mavericsk and I also find that is not a memory related problem. Do not be sad and considers that having more memory is almost always a good thing in general (and that you can resell it too).

Another thing i do not mention: I have the same problem on my other Mac ( iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009) ) that had maxed memory too ( 16GB there).

The point is this "systemstas" hog process.

Now I read 6 "I have this question too" : someone else want to add an articulated response ?

I am a little surprised that I did not even have found a single person who does not agree with my post (or even just with my polemical tone). I begin to suspect that here, in the house of the Big Apple, no one is interested in listening to real stories about "customer dissatisfaction", that's simple something that "cant be".

Nov 25, 2013 10:19 PM in response to davalpi

Same thing is happening to me. Also, I am suddenly having battery problems also. Earlier today I used my Macbook Pro (2011) on battery for several hours and it only brought me down to about 54% and everything seemed fine. But then i noticed in the past hour that my battery says "Service Battery" so I unplugged my MBP from the power cord and suddenly my computer started running hot with the fan going crazy so I checked Activity Monitor and I noticed this "systemstats" running my CPU every other minute with my fan going crazy.

What the heck is going on! Shouldn't have upgraded to Mavericks. ugh

Nov 27, 2013 11:52 AM in response to davalpi

I killed (with sudo) the two systemstats processes and deleted the entire /private/var/db/systemstats directory... Click the power icon in the menu bar, systemstats process restarted, CPU went high for a few seconds then I got the report I was after, CPU went back to normal... Can't see the point of a "what's consuming power" process that goes nuts, and, well, consumes lots of power?

Dec 10, 2013 4:23 AM in response to davalpi

Also having this issue on a 2012 MBPR 15" - has been getting worse since initially installing Mavericks. Really like the Energy monoitoring in the Activity monitor but noted early on that systemstats would use a lot of resources when the tab was switched to, though would drop off after a minute or two. Recently have noticed systemstats continues to hog resources.

slow macs, high CPU, systemstats and other Mavericks assorted problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.