Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access music on my Ipod Classic - Sad.

Hi all

My beloved Ipod Classic is having all sorts of issues.

It's 160GB. According to the hard drive space, the media is still there.

But I can't access any songs, videos or pics on my Ipod or my Mac.

Everything's updated.

Please help, Mac Friends.

Obliged,

EC

iPod classic, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 160 GB Ipod Classic

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 3:05 AM

9 replies

Nov 10, 2013 11:56 AM in response to lizardman21

How do you know it's still there? have you looked at the capacity bar to see how the space is being used?

If the space is taken up by "Other", try another Sync of the iPod with iTunes. If that doesn't sort it out, try a Restore. This is done by connecting the iPod to iTunes and looking on the Device/Summary pane:

User uploaded file

Be aware that a Restore removes everything from the iPod and then puts back only what it finds in your iTunes Library.

Nov 12, 2013 12:18 PM in response to lizardman21

The problem is that the space may be taken up by Other. You have to check the capacity bar and find out how the space is being used, not simply how much is being used.

When I click on the iPod's icon, I see the screenshot below. Hover your mouse over the segments until you see Other appear, as shown. The blue segment, as you can see in the screenshot, is the Audio. How much is being used by each segment?

User uploaded file

Nov 13, 2013 2:29 AM in response to lizardman21

It should be possible to sort this out and your Playlists should be in tyour iTunes Library.

Try the suggestions I made previously - first of all, another Sync. If further Syncing doesn't remove the Other and re-install your media correctly, then you will have no option but to use a Restore.

As I said above, if you have been using Sync to manage your iPod, then all Playlists should be in your iTunes Library. Playlists created on an iPod Classic are transferred to the Library at Sync time, but they may be renamed. If you saved a Playlist on the iPod, it should be named then as "New Playlist x" (where x is the next unsed number in the sequence) and appear in iTunes by that name.

If you leave a Playlist on the iPod as an unsaved On-The-Go Playlist, it is renamed as "On-The-Go x" (again, the x is the next unused number in the sequence). Be aware though of two things; this is how it works with my iPod (firmware version 1.1.2 PC) and it may differ slightly in an iPod with a different firmware version, such as the later Classics and secondly, the order of the On-the-Go lists is alphabetical, not numerical. So you get this:

User uploaded file

where 10, 12 etc. appear before 2. So in other words, you may have to look out of sequence to find your Playlists.

(Don't get too hung up about the firmware version on a Classic. It's really not important in this situation.)

If you haven't been using Sync to manage your iPod up to now, then a Restore will be the time to start doing so and with 100GB of music, it's the best way to manage the iPod. If you are in this postion, we can explain how to do this - it really is easy and by far the best way to go. Just ignore anyone who tells you otherwise!

Dec 12, 2013 6:21 AM in response to the fiend

Hi all,

So I too am having this problem. I believe I have the same ipod classic as lizardman and over 100gb of my music has been changed to "other" on my ipod. The problem is that this ipod is the result of several different hard drives from different computers and so there are only about 300 odd songs on my laptop now. I am terrified that I have lost all of this music.

Any help at all?? I can't do a restore you see, otherwise it'll all be lost. Are there any other options?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Dec 12, 2013 8:14 AM in response to juddernaught

juddernaught wrote:

So I too am having this problem. ....

I can't do a restore you see, otherwise it'll all be lost. Are there any other options?

I don't believe there is any other option.

For the future, if you change computers, you need to move the music from the old computer into the new one. Since an iPod is not, and never has been, a reliable back up of your media, it's important to maintain a back up of your iTunes Library, for example, on a separate external hard drive.

Feb 25, 2014 1:38 PM in response to the fiend

I just lost several hundred audiobooks from my ipod. I can not sync these with itunes since there are from the library and when i sync with itunes it deletes them...yes i tried sync manually but I could not save them on the compuer only on the ipod. I woudl love to save them elswhere but not possible. They are still one my ipod but I can not access them. My computer doe snot even recognize my ipod.

May 19, 2015 10:46 AM in response to lizardman21

i think i finally did it. i.e. restored the music.

firstly i identified th in the ipode music by accessing the data in the ipod. i connected by usb to the computer, and opened the computer ikon and then double clicked the ipod ikon within the computer window and further double clicked on the itunes folder from within that library. all the music was still there even if the itunes site only showed an anonymous "other" in the contents bar.

all the music was still in the ipod, in an itunes foder. apparently this was what showed up as other in the bar at the bottom of the itunes site/window. it just wasn't accessible if i disconnected the ipod from the computer. and navigating the ipod to music "no music" would show up on the small screen.

secondly, i reconnected the ipod to computer, opened the itunes site/window. my ipod registered there. but there was none of my music in the library

and nothing of mine on the music tab.

thirdly clicked "file" from the menu in the itunes site, then clicked "add folder to library". from the drop down list. in the open/windows explorer type window that opened i navigated to "computer" and then to my ipod and found the itunes folder (with all the music) and clicked to open, in so doing, that folder was copied to my itunes library in the itunes site.

however it wasn't til i synced, clicking on the sync button in the itunes site that a process of copying the list of songs to the music playlist/ library was effectively completed. once that process ended, the music appears in the music section of my ipod also after disconnecting from the computer and in the library on the itunes site.

Can't access music on my Ipod Classic - Sad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.