Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Hi

Can someone please confirm that Mail and Microsft Exchange Server 2003 play nicely, not as a POP but as real time mail account, ie: delivery to my inbox which stays on the server (IMAP)?

Cheers
Budgie

G5 - Dual 2.0 Gig, 1.5 GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 9, 2006 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2006 7:54 AM

We use Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Mail from OS X .3 and OS X .4 and it work well when I configure the mail acount as an exchange acount.

But I can't configure Adress Book to sync with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003.

I just try with 10.4.7 and still not working, any help on that would be apreciated.

Dax.
10 replies

Jul 10, 2006 8:40 AM in response to Budgie

Hi Budgie

I can confirm that provided your administrator configures the Exchange server for IMAP (Mail uses IMAP to connect) that yes, Mail can be used effectively with Exchange and messages will remain on the server; though the set up can be misleading.

For me at least, when you get to Outgoing Server Settings, the set-up panel does not allow you to enter an authentication type, and entering my user name and password will get the following response:

The SMTP server “xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com:username” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Outgoing Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

If you continue, you may not be able to send any mail.

When I click continue, the authentication panel comes up, and by changing authentication to NTLM and entering the Domain name - everything works perfectly!

The only other nuisance is that Mail looks at the Exchange Calendar and Personal Folders/Contacts folders as mail folders, but cannot display the contents in the way Outlook or Entourage does, and I have not found a way of eliminating them from the folder list.

I hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2006 5:23 PM in response to TroyB

Just down loaded and set up Entourage 2004's trial version entered the appropriate info and wolla, im sending recieving and syncing to my exchange server,(got to wait now for office 2007 beta for Mac).

Cant get my head around Mail not sending, but keep getting this mesage back from the exchange after trying to send a message, any idea's, same result if I send through Thunderbird.

Alert:
An error occured sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: * OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1 (SERVER.test.com) ready..

Cheers
Budgie

Jul 17, 2006 7:36 PM in response to Budgie

finally got it working, here's my settings just incase it helps someone else.

For Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
No firewall from my mail client out to server

Account Type: Exchange
Email Address: Budgie@avery.co.nz
Full Name: Budgie

Incoming mail Server: 00.00.00.00 (exchange ip address)
User Name: Budgie
Password xxxxxxxxxxxx

Outgoing Mail Server (smtp): Exchange (as text 😉

(server settings)
Server Port: 25
Authetication: None

Outlook Web Access Server: 00.00.00.00 (exchange ip address)

Advanced:
Port 143
Authentication: Password

Budgie

Jul 20, 2006 11:59 AM in response to cottie1966

Hi cottie1966

You may get a better response if you start a new thread, as this one is already answered it's less likely people will post here 🙂

In my post above I found the two main issues to be having the firewall on in my mac and changeing the Outgoing Mail Server (smtp): Exchange to text instead of the ip, this cleared all my problems up straight away, hope this helps.

Budgie

Mail and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.