Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I have Safari open in Full Screen in Maverick?

When opening Safari it does not go to full screen. How do I have it open in full screen?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), KeyChain

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 5:50 AM

Go to System Preferences/General. Make sure "Close windows when quitting an application is Unchecked.

Then open Safari/Go to Full Screen and quit. The next time you open Safari it should be in full screen.

User uploaded file

13 replies

Jul 7, 2014 1:28 PM in response to TildeBee

I have seen this same answer shilled all over the discussion forums, but it isn't really a solution, it's a workaround. It doesn't allow Safari to relaunch in Full-Screen, it allows Safari to re-open your previous full-screen window upon launch, there IS a difference. Specifically, if you ever close your Safari window, any new windows will not be presented full screen; same if Safari every unexpectedly quits

The central issue is that there is a change in behavior here, with or without the indicated checkbox is selected, Mail and Calendar both re-launch in full screen mode, while Safari does not.

The workaround is a decent crutch of a solution, but it would be great to have an actual true fix.

Oct 23, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Conor Schutzman

Does anyone have an update on this? I agree, unchecking the "Close windows when quitting an application" setting is not a fix. I want a Safari to close everything when I quite and I want it to open again in full screen when I launch it, but fresh, no old tabs.

I don't understand why this isn't fixed. All other applications (at least the ones I use) do this already: Mail, iTunes, iPhoto... why not Safari?

Jun 24, 2015 4:45 AM in response to Miguel F.

This sounds crazy, but just try this, can't hurt!

1.open a page.....then expand it

2. Then, minimize it (don't close it ).

3. Open another page which should open to full size!

4. Then close them both, and try to open a new page.

Did that work for you? It worked for me on 2 different laptops having this problem. Seems to have reset them.

How do I have Safari open in Full Screen in Maverick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.