Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect TP-Link TL-WA850RE(EU) Range extender to airport Time Capsule

please let me know if i can use TP-link range extender to extend my wifi network of my new airport time capule

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 4:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 7:40 AM

Apple's "extend a wireless network" feature has been designed to allow other Apple devices to communicate with each other to extend a network wirelessly.

It is unlikely that a 3rd party device could be configured to "extend" a wireless network provided by an Apple router.....but I suppose anything is always possible.

There would be two ways to find out:

1) Try it out yourself. If you think that you might have it set up, we can give you a connection test to verify that the TP Link device is actually extending the wireless signal.....not simply joining it.

2) Wait to hear from another user who has the same products who has set this up. Unfortunately, the chances that another user who has the same products will ever see your post are extremely small....but again, anything is possible.

If you have not already purchased a device to extend the Time Capsule network, an AirPort Express could be configured to extend the network literally automatically in about 2 minutes....and...the Express will extend both bands of your dual band Time Capsule.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2013 7:40 AM in response to laanbfa

Apple's "extend a wireless network" feature has been designed to allow other Apple devices to communicate with each other to extend a network wirelessly.

It is unlikely that a 3rd party device could be configured to "extend" a wireless network provided by an Apple router.....but I suppose anything is always possible.

There would be two ways to find out:

1) Try it out yourself. If you think that you might have it set up, we can give you a connection test to verify that the TP Link device is actually extending the wireless signal.....not simply joining it.

2) Wait to hear from another user who has the same products who has set this up. Unfortunately, the chances that another user who has the same products will ever see your post are extremely small....but again, anything is possible.

If you have not already purchased a device to extend the Time Capsule network, an AirPort Express could be configured to extend the network literally automatically in about 2 minutes....and...the Express will extend both bands of your dual band Time Capsule.

Nov 9, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your help, in the meantime i figured out houw to connect the Tp-Link by following the manual i found on internet.

By connecting the device with an ethernet cable to my computer and installing the device it works perfectly as an extention to my WIFI network from apple airport.

so i am happy now.

Bernard

Dec 8, 2013 12:20 PM in response to laanbfa

Hi Bernard,

good to hear that You have managed to setup the TP-LINK device. I have similar problem. I have TP-LINK range extender - it works. BUT - the wireless network speed is twice slower than airport. Could you check if you have same speed? I still may have a look on settings (using speedtest app). Let's see yourt answer.

Cheers

Bedza

Dec 8, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Bedza

All wireless extend or repeater is half the speed.. it doesn't matter whether you use an apple extender or a TP-Link universal repeater or whatever. Speed of wireless is halved because it is double hop.

Every packet is transmitted twice.. one computer to repeater.. two.. repeater to router.. and every return packet is received and retransmitted.. wireless is single channel.. half duplex. It can communicate only in one direction at a time and only to one device at a time.

how to connect TP-Link TL-WA850RE(EU) Range extender to airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.