Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded and Now Open Directory Hosed

I upgrade my Mac Mini running Server to Mavericks and then Server 3, however in the new server app my Open Directory service is marked as Off, when I turn it On I get asked if I want to create a new OD master, join a domain as a replica or restore the domain from an archive. So from what I can see the upgrade has lost my OD data :-( I have an archive of the OD master I took before I started the upgrade, but when I restore it it doesn't seem to 'take' and I am left in the same situation.

If I try to create a new OD domain, I get to set the diradmin password etc I get an error "An unknown error occurred while verifying directory administrator settings"

So I'm stuck and am going to have to roll back to the pre-upgrade backup of the server but I really need to know how to either (1) keep my OD data during gthe upgrade, (2) be able to restore from an archive or (3) rebuild the OD domain from scratch - any one of those would let me get things up and running.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 6:05 AM

3 replies

Nov 9, 2013 8:03 AM in response to RelCon

Ah, might have been my mistake, I didn't turn off SSL for OD before I did the upgrade and I've just found a support note saying that you should - why Apple can't supply a properly organised set of opre-upgrade notes is beyond me :-( Anyway, will try again next weekend or maybe overnight this week and see if that helps.

Nov 9, 2013 8:23 AM in response to RelCon

FWIW and if you haven't already found this, see the Mavericks OS X Server: Steps to take before upgrading or migrating the Open Directory database (HT5300). This OD upgrade article is a little hard to find, but was referenced from this OS X Server upgrade article (HT5996). Then some potential post-upgrade steps for Software Update Server.

Upgraded and Now Open Directory Hosed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.