Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A LOT of problems with OSX Mavericks

Since I installed mavericks, I've been having several problems. Multiple Users,etc...but what has bothered me is the problems with user permissions and the installer software. I have had problems with almost all software installers (Office, FCP, plugins, etc ...). When I try to install them I get the following message. "The Installer can not open the package. There may be a problem with file ownership or permissions" (Image). Someone is having a similar problem? How to solve this?

thx

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 7:33 AM

• Boot OS X Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac.
  • When the Mac OS X Utilities screen appears,select Utilities > Terminal.
  • In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Do not enter a new password.

• Select your startup volume at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account with the problem.
  • At the bottom of the window, you will see Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button.
  • Quit Reset Password
  • Quit Terminal
  • Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2013 7:33 AM in response to christian Frank

• Boot OS X Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac.
  • When the Mac OS X Utilities screen appears,select Utilities > Terminal.
  • In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Do not enter a new password.

• Select your startup volume at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account with the problem.
  • At the bottom of the window, you will see Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button.
  • Quit Reset Password
  • Quit Terminal
  • Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

Jan 10, 2014 8:19 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for posting this very helpful tutorial! I am not able to do this on a MacBook Air with FileVault enabled. The startup volume simply does not appear in the window after I enter the resetpassword command in Terminal under OS X Recovery.

Does anyone know how to reset all of the home directory permissions and ACLs under FileVault 2?

TIA,

Rob

Jan 14, 2014 5:37 AM in response to christian Frank

Apple released Safari 7 (included with Mavericks), Safari browser are having issues connecting to my work’s VPN. When connecting to the VPN, it will try to install the Network Connect client software then fail. I try:

Safari->Preferences->Security tab
“Manage Website Settings…” button in the bottom right
Highlight “Java” from the list.
Add your VPN site
Click the popup menu and select “Run in Unsafe Mode”

Then I can run Network Connect fine, but after 5-10 minutes it stops routing packets, I have to sign out and sign in again. Anyone else having this issue?

Jan 16, 2014 5:08 PM in response to John Galt

Hi,

Can I try this with this problem:

My standard user can’t now change the dock or anything he used to set-up.

I tried to fix that by creating a new admin user and changed it for a standard one but steel the permissions are mixed up.

And I’ve noticed that the new apps like game center have 2 users "everyone" and no one can’t be deleted.

The disk repair doesn’t do anything(like always)…

I’ll appreciate any advice.

Did someone try sandbox or sparkle or another “kind of” app to reset the permissions?

I’m looking for a book to learn how it’s work in LINUX too.

Many thanks

Apr 5, 2014 7:08 PM in response to muneerm

Use the backup you made before you chose to install Mavericks and follow

OS X Mavericks: Revert to a previous OS X version

Otherwise you can troubleshoot your current system

etresoft a long time contributer to Apple Support Communities wrote a very useful app he called etrecheck which helps in diagnosing many problems caused by third party installs etc.. Go to his website, read his information and from there download and run the program according to his instructions

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Copy and paste the results (preferably in a new Post as this one is quite old)

Pete

A LOT of problems with OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.