Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete from my DCIM/Photo Library folder

I want to delete either individual photos or the entire DCIM & Photo Library folders, is this possible? When I purchased my iPhone the attendant transferred photos from my old phone over (1,877 to each of those folders), which I already had saved elsewhere, and it is using valuable memory space and they need to be deleted. I can't even update my software because I don't have enough storage! I do have a lot of apps for my kids on my phone but I don't think I should have to delete those because they are used all the time. The DCIM/Photo Library folders need to go pronto....Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 8:02 PM

1. Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.

2. Open Windows Explorer and open your device main folder

3. Double click on DCMI folder, and you'll see all folders there.

4. Open one of those folders, select all images, and click Delete on your keyboard. If a message pops-up saying something cannot be deleted, click on Skip and move on.

5. Repeat step 4 with all folders into DCMI folder. Don't attempt to delete those empty folders for now.

6. When all images have been deleted, and only the initial folders and some undeletable files are left, then unplug your iPhone and plug it back again. No folders and images are found 🙂

You cannot delete the DCMI folder

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 8:02 PM in response to Evanish1

1. Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.

2. Open Windows Explorer and open your device main folder

3. Double click on DCMI folder, and you'll see all folders there.

4. Open one of those folders, select all images, and click Delete on your keyboard. If a message pops-up saying something cannot be deleted, click on Skip and move on.

5. Repeat step 4 with all folders into DCMI folder. Don't attempt to delete those empty folders for now.

6. When all images have been deleted, and only the initial folders and some undeletable files are left, then unplug your iPhone and plug it back again. No folders and images are found 🙂

You cannot delete the DCMI folder

Jun 5, 2017 7:43 AM in response to Chris CA

doesn't work, when I try and move pone I get a message the the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected...

its in neither state, as I have tried this, oh, 10 times over 15 minute spans, making sure it was NOT disconnected and the device was still responding etc...

so, its been literally years, has apple fixed this yet, or not?

Nov 9, 2013 8:05 AM in response to Evanish1

Evanish1 wrote:

This only imorts photos from the camera roll, which i've already done. I need the DCIM & Photo Library folders emptied. I can get to the DCIM folder with it plugged into my Windows 7 computer but the 3 sub-folders that show up (823WGTMA, 860OKMZO, 965YOKDJ) under it show nothing when I double click on them.

Select them in Windows Explorer & delete the three folders 823WGTMA, 860OKMZO, 965YOKDJ.

I want to delete from my DCIM/Photo Library folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.