Skip navigation

Using both versions of Numbers

361 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 10:30 AM by Dan Connors RSS
Dan Connors Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 9, 2013 7:37 AM

I upgraded to the new Numbers program (Numbers v3) and discovered it had been stupefied, so I went back to Numbers '09. I want all .numbers files to open with Numbers '09, however when I change the Open with program on the inspector to Numbers 09, it sets it back to Numbers v3. So I uninstalled Numbers v3, which solved the problem, but now I get prompted every day to install the new version. I'd like to have both versions installed and usable in order to use the iCloud benefits of Numbers v3, but can't get this to work. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.4, 13" Late 2012
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,195 points)
    Nov 9, 2013 7:41 AM (in response to Dan Connors)

Dan,

I've gotten the update notice here too, but not all the time, and I've got Version installed and not hidden. No idea how to suppress it. I'd love to hear a solution too.

Jerry

• Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Nov 9, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to Dan Connors)

This is what works for me. After I installed the new iWork updates I created a folder on an external drive & named it "other applications." I then moved the new iWork apps to this folder & renamed the applications Keynote 6, Pages 5 & Numbers 3. I have icons for two versions of Pages & Numbers (I rarely use Keynote) in my Dock. Even with two versions of Pages & Numbers running, double-clicking an existing file opens in Pages 4.3 or Numbers 2.3. This should also keep the Mac App Store from nagging you to update.

Peggy_sig.png

• Badunit Level 6 Level 6 (10,765 points)
    Nov 10, 2013 12:51 AM (in response to Dan Connors)

What worked for me was finding the old version of the app and tacking an "09" onto its name.  I do not know if this will cause any problems if there are future updates to the old version but it did solve the problem OSX was having with setting the default app for opening my files.

• SGIII Level 4 Level 4 (3,290 points)
    Nov 10, 2013 8:02 AM (in response to Badunit)

Yes, renaming the old version works for me too. It's particularly important to rename the old version if you are doing any GUI AppleScripting with Numbers 3.0 such as the Insert Date workaround.

SG

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.