Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The wifi will not turn on on my macbook

I have a macbook with OS X and my wifi will not turn on at all. It was working just fine and after leaving the computer for awhile I returned and the wifi icon was blank and under network preferences it will not even allow me to turn on the wifi. The status shows "Off" and when I click on turn wifi on, nothing at all happens. I have tried deleting and readding wifi as a connection option as well as restarting my computer, unplugging and re-plugging my router, and nothing works. The wifi works just fine on my iPad and iPhone. Please help!!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 8:46 AM

1 reply

Nov 9, 2013 9:46 AM in response to sekrey

See if this helps...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

The wifi will not turn on on my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.