Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to set F-keys as volume keys in 10.3.9?

Hi everyone!

I've set up an old iMac G3 as a learning / gaming station for my 3-year-old son, and he loves it. One hiccup: we're using the keyboard and mouse that came with the original iMacs (small keyboard, hockey-puck mouse), and there are no dedicated volume keys on this keyboard.

Is there a way to set or "bind" the volume up/down function to the standard F-keys that this keyboard has? The checkbox for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." in keyboard preferences doesn't exist with this keyboard - the checkbox just isn't there.

Any tips or tricks you can point me to?

PS: This is the model of keyboard we're using:

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 9:23 AM

1 reply

Nov 10, 2013 8:20 PM in response to Huxley Dunsany

It seems that option to use either "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." may only apply to keyboards that are marked with dual use.

Maybe that dual function, is hardware dependent inside the keyboard.

I wonder if you plugged such a keyboard into the G3 whether that expected option in System Preferences would show?

Any way to set F-keys as volume keys in 10.3.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.