Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dynamic IP on Airport Time Capsule

Hi,

I have successfully set up my Time Capsule and the wireless side of the Extreme, using my BT Infinity connection, from a variety of Apple devices.

However, I have a dynamic IP address (residential service) that I would like to carry on using my no-ip.com account to provide a dynamic IP update service, so that I can continue with some remote access services. I can find the section in the Airport utility (6.3.2) for Use Dynamic Global Hostname which asks for the hostname, username and password; but how does this setting know to use no-ip.com as my provider, or does it assume that I have a paid DynDNS account (if so, that's daft!).

I have a CCTV system which I used to connect to using my hostname URL (both inside the network and remotely). However, the hostname no longer resolves internal to the network (even though I've manually checked and set the no-ip.com address, which is correct). Does the Airport loopback internal addresses?

Whilst I'm here, is it possible to get a list of IPs allocated within my subnet range for connected clients?

Thanks

Pete

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 1:51 PM

8 replies

Nov 9, 2013 9:01 PM in response to HDPete

However, I have a dynamic IP address (residential service) that I would like to carry on using my no-ip.com account to provide a dynamic IP update service, so that I can continue with some remote access services. I can find the section in the Airport utility (6.3.2) for Use Dynamic Global Hostname which asks for the hostname, username and password; but how does this setting know to use no-ip.com as my provider, or does it assume that I have a paid DynDNS account.

I don't use no-ip.com, but have you tried entering: no-ip.com in the Hostname field and your no-ip.com user credentials in the subsequent fields?

Nov 10, 2013 9:45 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi,

Many thanks - good idea. I have tried that as suggested and it doesn't see to update no-ip.com. I'm sure I can download a client application that will take care of the IP update, but does anyone know about my second issue where I can't see to resolve my external domain name internally. i.e. address my CCTV by using shh****.serveblog.net and the Airport recognising that this resolves against an internal address and route to it. Currently, it just times out.

Nov 10, 2013 1:35 PM in response to HDPete

I have tried that as suggested and it doesn't see to update no-ip.com.

Sorry, this entry is not for the same purpose that other manufacturer routers use it for and that is to perform as a DDNS client to update your DDNS service with any dynamic public IP addresses changes provided by your ISP. Instead it is for accessing the AirPort or an AirPort Disk attached to the base station's USB port.

Feb 19, 2015 4:31 AM in response to HDPete

So after a couple of hours of playing around and testing I've finally found the correct settings to achieve this, I wasn't able to find the configuration options through the Windows Airport Utility client but borrow a MacBook Air from a family member and was able to find it:

1. Open the AirPort Utility on a Mac computer.

2. Click on your AirPort Device, then click "Edit".

3. Select the "Internet" tab.

4. Now in the "Domain Name" section type "yourhostname.ddns.net" or it could be "yourhostname.no-ip.com" or whatever other hostname No-IP.com may have assigned you.

5. Now click the "Internet Options" button.

6. At the bottom of the windows that opened tick the check box "Use dynamic global hostname"

7. In the "Hostname" section fill it with "no-ip.ddns"

8. In the "User" & "Password" sections fill it with the username and password that you chose when creating your "No-IP.com" account.

9. Now click "Save" which will save the settings and click "Update" to update the Airport device which will also restart it.

And you're done!

Please note that it does sometimes take up to 5 to 10 minutes to update the DNS settings to No-IP.com, which caused me to think it wasn't working initially.

Good luck!

Dynamic IP on Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.