Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks

Since I installed Mavericks on my computer the fn key doesn't work more. It's impossible for me to change the brightness on my monitor. I'm using mac pro. Can someone help me? Thank you

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), RAM 16 Gb

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 2:26 PM

11 replies

Nov 9, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Rinaldo Berra

Rinaldo Berra wrote:

Since I installed Mavericks on my computer the fn key doesn't work more. It's impossible for me to change the brightness on my monitor.

What type of monitor do you have? One user discovered that his ADC Cinema display is no longer supported. If that's not what you have, what to you see in the Keyboard panel of System Preferences?

By the way, having only "Mavericks" as the subject of your post adds nothing to help draw attention to your problem by people who might be able to help.

Nov 12, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Rinaldo Berra

If you don't have a brightness slider in the Display panel of System Preferences for your display, you may have been affected by the same change. Your display has been sold since 2010. One would hope it would still be supported by OS X.

According to this thread, it's possible to adjust the brightness of the older 24" Cinema display under Mavericks, although the poster didn't describe just how he did that.

I don't know if it applies in your case, but if it is, did you install the 27-inch LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0?

Dec 1, 2013 12:29 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Hello I noticed your comment, I have a Jan 2003 A1038 M8893ZMA Cinema Display I found at Tohoku University dumped outside in the rain I took it home but it fell on the ground and cracked I do not know if I damaged the inners but I took the back off and glued the cracked part and let it dry I do not know how long it was in the rain but it did not seem water got into the inners.

Anyway put it back together and I have a Mac cube and 2 old G3 s but I think the specs are not sitable with them. Then I got a second hand Power Mac G5 2005 it has 2 kinds of sockets at the back 1 fits the Apple cinema display.

I connected the keyboard and mouse to the display not to the power mac and a light for seeing ;the power comes on and I can use the Power button to turn the power on an off and it is just shining no picture like it is on sleep the mouse and keyboard lights show bI know the Power Mac works because I installed 10.4 via firewire from an ibook.

The previous owner seems to have put a graphics card above for HD DVI monitor would that prevent the original working? I guess he did not use an apple display there is no Manual for the display only specs but the machine and family number do not match.

I know what it it was thrown out but not because of it being broken but they just want to have latest version.

Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.