Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to plug a microphone in the iPad ?

Hello !

For a long time i've been searching on Google how to plug a microphone into an iPad, but i did not find a satisfying solution, so here i am !

Here is the problem :

I have the Ipad Retina, and i would like to record videos, using the Ipad's Camera for the video, but using an external micro for the audio.

The problem is that when i plug my microphone in the Ipad's Jack connector, and record a video, it does not work, because i'm pretty sure the iPad thinks that it's earphones that are connected, not a microphone ^^

So i've been searching over the web and i bought this little adaptor :
User uploaded file

Which is a basic 3.5mm jack female -> male but for " Iphone / Ipad " ...

But it still not working !

Here is on the left, the cable of my microphone, and on the right, the adapter.

I plug the cable of my microphone into the adapter, and then plug in it to the iPad

User uploaded file

But Still nothing ...

Do you have any solution for me ?

And please, do not tell me to buy one of this 50$ piece of plastic cable that " are apple product compatible ", i'm pretty sure there is a way to get this thing to simply.. work..

Thanks for your support !

iPad, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2017 11:11 PM

Your TRS microphone cable never makes contact with the second ring in the iPads TRRS Jack. On the iPad Jack tip and the first ring is the headphone conductors, the second ring is the microphone conductor, and the sleeve is the shield . You could make an adapter to move the ring from your microphone cable to the second ring in the new plug to go into the iPad jack.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2017 11:11 PM in response to extremepwl

Your TRS microphone cable never makes contact with the second ring in the iPads TRRS Jack. On the iPad Jack tip and the first ring is the headphone conductors, the second ring is the microphone conductor, and the sleeve is the shield . You could make an adapter to move the ring from your microphone cable to the second ring in the new plug to go into the iPad jack.

Nov 9, 2013 3:13 PM in response to extremepwl

You bought a stereo adapter rather than a mono adapter. You can see it has 4 rings, not three like the iPad headphone plug. It doesn't matter if it thinks the earphones are connected, because you likely don't about hearing it if you are recording. The problem is the mic contacts don't line up correctly.

What kind of microphone are you using?

Nov 9, 2013 4:58 PM in response to extremepwl

I'm not sure. The TRRS connector is (I believe) what the iPhone uses but I'm not certain about the iPad.

Let's back up though. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain that...

1. The mix is output through the 3.5 jack? You can test by plugging in headphones to be sure it works.
  2. If that works, are you certain the cable you are using to output into the adapter is in good condition and working?
  3. The adapter is really TRS --> TRSS?

Nov 9, 2013 5:12 PM in response to extremepwl

The output is on the second photo, it's the cable on the right so yes, it's an 3.5mm Jack, i've tested with headphones and there is no problem with the mix table.

I have tested with 3 different cables ^^ So no problem with this

I bought the adapter on this website, if you want more info :

http://www.fnac.com/mp3448898/Adaptateur-jack-3-5mm-marque-Exspect-compatible-iP hone-3G-et-3Gs-EX864CABLE/w-4

( French website )

It says it's compatible with Iphone but i think that the audio connectors are the same for Ipad, no ?

Oct 27, 2016 1:53 PM in response to extremepwl

edit: hmm, ok, one app i used today, it gave me a choice of input source, to include the external mic (that means the tiny hole in the ipad, not the headset mic, ... irdk, im thinking a jack in tells ipad which mic 🙂 automatically.

ive recorded for years, but a first with apple.

im looking forward to no fan noises or hard drive access noises

How to plug a microphone in the iPad ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.