Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double notifications with Gmail since upgrading to Mavericks

Since I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9), I seem to be having this problem where my emails would be listed twice in Notifications. This only affects my Gmail accounts, and not my iCloud account. I have tried disabling mail notificaitons, reboot and re-enabling notifications without success. I've also recently installed the Mail Updated that's suppose to help with Gmail fix. Still no luck!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 5:38 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2013 8:17 PM in response to paul7

I found the problem. Google recently added an "Important" mailbox/label. For some reason, Google was thinking almost every new email was marked as important and so every time a new email came in, it would appear in the inbox AND in the important folder, hence, two emails would show up under notificaitons.

IDEALLY Apple Mail would be smart enough to recognize that this is a duplicate email. Alas, it is not.

The work around is to disable this mailbox/label. ie. go into Settings -> Labels -> uncheck "Show in IMAP" for the "Important" System Label.

Double notifications with Gmail since upgrading to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.