Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maverick System Preferences all grayed out

Email & Browsers along with PS CC DW CC etc working fine but after installing 10.9 all of System Preferences are grayed out

macpro 2008 10 g memory plus

2 video cards which worked fine on 10.8.5 (to keep Adobe happy os the orig didn't have enough vram for PS CC)

Apple Monitor brightness is OK brand X monitor is now way to bright (I know I can change it on the monitor)

Slight boost in speed on page loads on Chrome and Safari with Safari showing the most imporvement

slowhiker

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Just installed OS 10.9

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 8:33 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2013 7:34 AM in response to slowhiker

Grant

I ran DU Repair Per before I asked the question. Anytime I install new software I run it.

When I tried to shut down the system I was informed that System Preferences wouldn't allow shutdown.

At that point the lightbulb went on and I did a force quit on System Preferences and restarted with them working properly.

As for the ACER screen I will need to use my Idisplay and re-calibrate the system but that will need to wait for Monday.

Thanks for your reply.

slowhiker

Nov 10, 2013 8:11 AM in response to slowhiker

A 2008 with 10GB for what you run may not be enough let alone ideal. Good news is FBDIMMs are better and cheap(er). $60 for 8GB. I would aim for minimum 16, ideal 24GB and if you need to even 32GB.

You said you have two GPU's - might want to include even those when dealing with a new system. Obviously not two GT120's and unlikely to have not had trouble with two Nvidia cards.

Setting up some SSDs would be nice for system and Adobe, but your PCIe slots only two were PCIe 2.0 and the others are the slower 4x PCIe 1.1 type.

I am not in favor of "upgrades" but instead leave the old as is, do a clean install plus use Setup Assistant. And then you might want to create a new or test account. Does not take much longer and may be faster path to a more stable system.

Maverick System Preferences all grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.