Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.0 - Status bar current page & page count?

How do I show the status bar showing current page and page count? I do not need to see the full thumbnail bar.

In all prior versions of pages, I could look at the bottom of my window and see my current page and how many pages are in my document. Now, I glance to the bottom, and I have no idea. I cannot find any way to turn this on and turning on the thumbnails view does not show this to me at-a-glance because I have to scroll all the way down (through documents hundreds of pages long) to find out how many pages I currently have.

Please, what am I missing here, how can I make this show up again?

I mean a quick display here, not adding the page count and numbers to a documents footer. Although, that would be one way for me to solve this issue, but I do not always want that.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 11:45 PM

11 replies

Nov 10, 2013 5:45 PM in response to Maztec

Hey Maztec,

So, this doesn't 100% solve your problem or make Pages as useable as the last version, but if you click "View" > "Show Page Thumbnails", then you get a running list of your pages in preview on the left of your window (Along with the page count per page). The page you're on will be highlighted in blue and if you scroll down on it, it'll quickly show you your full page count without taking you off your present page.

Yes, this isn't as helpful as just glancing down; but it's quicker than scrolling through your pages after settign up a page count, and you don't lose track of where you're at...

Hope that helps!

Jun 22, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Maztec

I was looking for the same thing--a fast indication of what page I was on so I could print only one selected page out of a long document.

The new "solution" of page thumbnails is certainly inelegant and takes up more space on my screen!

I am missing a lot of the old, simpler features. I hope the developers read these forums.

Thanks for the answer, ibdo!

Jun 23, 2014 10:22 AM in response to Maztec

I wrote a short AppleScript solution that informs about the current document page as a pop-up dialog. This is for Pages v5+ only. I created and saved an Automator Application named CurrentPage to my Desktop. Providing that Pages is running, it will produce the dialog shown in subsequent Automator screen shot.

User uploaded file

Double-click /Applications/Automator and choose New Document, Application, and Choose. Follow the Utilities > Run AppleScript (not Shell Script as shown), and drag Run AppleScript over into the larger window and drop it. Select all of its contents and remove them -- this is just boilerplate.

Copy and paste the following AppleScript into the now vacant Run AppleScript workflow window. Click the hammer, and File > Save... pick a name, and location to save the application where it is handy. Quit Automator.

Code:

-- P

-- Produce formatted dialog of document name, current page, and page count

-- Pages v5+ only. Works whether typing in document or scrolling pages.

-- VikingOSX, June 2014, Apple Support Community - Pages for Mac.

if not ApplicationIsRunning("Pages") then

display dialog "Pages must be running to use this utility."

return quit

end if

tell application "Pages"

activate

tell front document

set diagTitle to "Current Document Page"

set docName to (name as text)

set thePage to current page

set curPage to 0

set pageCnt to page count

set pnList to its page

repeat with ndx from 1 to count of pnList

if thePage is equal to item ndx of pnList then

set curPage to ndx

end if

end repeat

set vformat to "Document: " & tab & tab & docName & return ¬

& "Current Page: " & tab & curPage & return ¬

& "Total Pages: " & tab & tab & pageCnt

end tell

end tell

display dialog (vformat as text) giving up after 15 with title diagTitle

on ApplicationIsRunning(appName)

tell application "System Events" to set appNameIsRunning to exists (processes where name is appName)

return appNameIsRunning

end ApplicationIsRunning

Pages 5.0 - Status bar current page & page count?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.