Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging Images Out Of Aperture 3 Halves Resolution?

When I drag my images out of Aperture 3 into Photoshop or onto my desktop, it halves the resolution and drops the dpi to 72. If I put the image back in Aperture and repeat the process, the resolution halves again. Any idea as to why?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 3:21 AM

when I drag my images out of Aperture 3 into Photoshop or onto my desktop, it halves the resolution and drops the dpi to 72

That is exactly as it is supposed to be. Dragging from the browser window will export the previews of your photos, not the full versions. The resolution of your dragged images will depend on your settings in Aperture's Preferences in the "Previews" tab.

To export full versions, select the images in the Browser and use the command "File > Export", set to "original size".

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2013 3:21 AM in response to RichB90

when I drag my images out of Aperture 3 into Photoshop or onto my desktop, it halves the resolution and drops the dpi to 72

That is exactly as it is supposed to be. Dragging from the browser window will export the previews of your photos, not the full versions. The resolution of your dragged images will depend on your settings in Aperture's Preferences in the "Previews" tab.

To export full versions, select the images in the Browser and use the command "File > Export", set to "original size".

Nov 10, 2013 3:26 AM in response to léonie

I have my export setting set up as you have suggested [I checked that several times!] but it never made any difference to dragging the images. I can export them using the export button and they'll be ok, but when you're doing a lot of editing, it's easier and faster [I find] just to drag it out into photoshop. To me it's strange that it would halve them when essentially, I'm doing the same process?

Anyway, thanks for your help and responce

Nov 10, 2013 3:51 AM in response to RichB90

, but when you're doing a lot of editing, it's easier and faster [I find] just to drag it out into photoshop.

You could set up Aperture to use Photoshop as external Editor:

Just set the external Editor to "Photoshop" in Preferences > Export > External Editor.

Then you just need to right-click the images in Aperture and select "Edit with Photoshop" from teh contextual menu.

User uploaded file

And the edited image will be recognized by Aperture as a version of the Image in Aperture.

Dragging Images Out Of Aperture 3 Halves Resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.