Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icons are gone..what to do???

Im using osx mavericks. I ran an app called cleanmymac 2. It did a good job by freeing up space and all that but now I have a problem. See picture.

User uploaded file

I restarted my computer after running the Cleanmymac 2 app, and upon restart, I pressed CMD+L and now I get what you see in the picture. NO ICONS....or rather very few. I think it has something to do with the cache....but I am not sure. I tried to contact cleanmymac company support but they are unhelpful. I never got an answer. Go figure. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

And please dont tell me something stupid like "erase your drive and start all over", cause that's not going to happen....I'm very frustrated at this....If anyone can give me an intelligent solution, please post. As a side note, I noticed that newly installed programs/apps show there respective icon upon finished installation. Its mainly the apps that are already installed that are missing there icons. Inside finder, when I click AAPLICATIONS, all the icons are there, so Its just when I press CMD+L, where I get this problem... Any ideas? 😕

Bootcamp-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Bootcamp

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 7:36 AM

7 replies

Nov 10, 2013 9:03 AM in response to jgcthatsme

I got a email from cleanmymac support. They said this -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

"Dear Joe,

Thank you for contacting MacPaw Customer Support.

The problem you're experiencing is related to the icon cache in Launchpad. To fix this, please force the application list reindexing by opening Terminal (you'll find it in the '/Applications/Utilities' folder) and pasting the following command there and press Return to execute the command:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock

Next, open Launchpad and allow some time for the applications to reindex. By the way, this problem is caused by older and incompatible with Mavericks versions of CleanMyMac. We strongly recommend keeping your copy up to date.

Regards,

Vlad

MacPaw Customer Support"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------

Not only did it not work, it made things worse. Now, I dont have ANY icons on my dock but the names are still there when I mouse over the dock.....ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! I hope this serves as a warning for people to NOT buy this sh!tty app as it WILL destroy your computer. I am living proof of that.....I sent them another email letting them know of this and I hve not heard back from them....GOD I WISH I COULD SUE OR DO SOMETHING...Now I have to spend 100's of dollars to fix this. I cant just wipe the drive. My entire working life in on this computer.....What a horrible company. I hope they go out of business.... 😠

Mar 4, 2014 4:21 PM in response to jgcthatsme

I had the same issue. I did follow Tuttle's answer but I did not need to reinstall MAC OS.
I only unnistall CleanMyMac 2 and after that I did restart my computer.
Everything works now and all icons are back to my Application Folder and Launchpad as well.

I guess it could be a good first try before reinstall the OS.

This was the first time I did use CleanMyMac, maybe this software requires a little more advanced setup than the standart one. Anyway, this was a very frustrated first experience.

Thanks Tuttle.

icons are gone..what to do???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.