Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does "play sound" not work if my iPhone is offline.

Why does "play sound" not work if my iPhone is offline. That defeats the purpose of using the sound to find my device. I know your device did not have to be online in ios6 to play a sound. I couldn't find a way to change this either. Seems ridiculous.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 7:27 AM

11 replies

Nov 11, 2013 11:45 AM in response to ffiti

I should have been clearer. My device that I wanted to play a sound on using "find my iPhone" was online but asleep, however when I launched the find my iPhone app, that device appeared with an offline status. To test the app, I grabbed my wife's iPhone checked to make sure it was online, put it asleep, then opened the find my iPhone on another one of my iPads. The status of my wife's iPhone appeared as "offline" which was not accurate. That was the problem I was trying to resolve.

Aug 1, 2016 8:48 AM in response to Jl619

I have the same issue with my iPad mini. I have both an iPhone 6s, iPhone 5 and iPad mini 2. All are running up to date iOS, on the same wifi network and have the correct date and time. I regularly misplace all

l devices. If I'm looking for the phones, it's not a problem. I use Find My iPhone, locate them, play a sound and hunt them down in the house. The problem is the iPad. If it is sleeping, it will appear as "offline" in Find My iPhone. If I play a sound, nothing happens. I roam the house until I find my iPad on my own. As soon as I press the home button, the find my iPhone alert starts playing. The iPad can only be located while awake. The iPad does not have cellular data. Does the cellular network keep iPhones a tIndy bit more awake (connected to the system) when sleeping? It's almost like he phones have a secret "Wake for network access" setting and my iPad doesn't.

Why does "play sound" not work if my iPhone is offline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.