Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comcast IMAP Can't delete extra folders?

So I just moved my Comcast Email over to the IMAP system, and It's working find on both my iMac and my MBP. However, on both computers in Mail I have three extra folders titled "Chats", "Contacts", and "Emailed Contacts". When I try and delete these folders, I get an error that Mail was unable to do so. These folders don't show up on the web interface for Comcast's email and I can't figure out what they are or how to get rid of them.

I tried contacting Comcast since their IMAP is still in beta, but the tech support person couldn't (or wouldn't) answer my question.

Just wondering if everyone is having this issue, or if it's just my account. Any help would be great!

iMac Core 2 Duo 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 10:27 AM

12 replies

Dec 6, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Varkias42

So, in 2017 the problem still exists! I have 3 copies of each folder in my IMAP mailbox using Outlook 2016 from Office 365. I am considering exporting the mail file (.ost?) for a backup just in case stuff isn't all on the comcast servers, and attempting to create a whole new identity or mail file. This has been going on for months and seemed to happen every time there was an office activation issue.

If it is successful I will try to return and post about it.

Cheers!

Dec 3, 2013 6:31 AM in response to DaveD2

DaveD2 wrote:

It's not just you.

I too am using Comcast IMAP and see the same folders. It's apparently a part of Mac Mail and there doesn't seem to be a way to delete them.

Those folders are not a part of Mac Mail, where did you read that they are (and if they are why do they only appear with Comcast Mail)

Dec 5, 2013 5:19 PM in response to Csound1

I was thinking that it was an issue with Apple's Mail, but as I don't have another email program to try out I don't know if this issue is just with Mail, or with Comcast or what. I haven't been able to find much information about it out there, and I was hoping someone had a soulution.

@Csound1 you seem very sure that they aren't part of Mail, do you happen to know what they ARE from? It's weird because they don't show up in comcast webmail and can't be deleted.

Dec 6, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, I understand that I am part of the Beta program for IMAP that Comcast is running. It also seems to be a test with no way of providing feedback or getting answers to questions.

I shouldn't have inferred that I also thought they were "a part of Mail", I know that they have something to do with Comcast and the IMAP system. I wanted to know if it was a problem that persisted across OTHER email clients, and whether or not anyone knew what these folders tied into, because I have been unable to find anything on Comcast's web interface that correlates to these folders.

I was asking because it seemed like you had information about these folders and how Comcast's IMAP worked, it was an honest question without any intention of disrespect. Whether or not it was your intention, I certanly can't say the same about your reply.

Dec 6, 2013 3:40 PM in response to Csound1

I guess it's just a work in process.

Although Comcast is my ISP, all of my 3 Comcast email accounts are configured to auto-forward to my iCloud accounts.

I understand that the only reason that Comcast are beta testing IMAP is because Windows 8's mail client doesn't support POP3 mail. So, if that's true, they certainly have an incentive to fix it.

Comcast IMAP Can't delete extra folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.