Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Decompression Bomb warning

Yesterday I installed a fresh copy of Mavericks. After the install was finished before doing anything else I ran a full system scan with Avast! Free Antivirus. It came back with the following:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/Loaders/MKDrive rs.bundle/Contents/Resources/bootroot.loader|>bootroot.loader.dmg

Infection Details: Error 42110 The file is a decompression bomb

Can anyone explain why such a file would be found in the "World's Greatest OS?"

Of course I isolated and then forwarded it to Avast!. A real confidance builder Apple!

The point here is don't trust anybody. Scan for virus, etc before use.

pixelphoto

(Marvin)

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 11:15 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

That's a file that everybody using OS X Mavericks has got. See > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2615671

It's a false alarm, so you have to learn one thing: don't trust in that type of antivirus. If you have to use an antivirus, I recommend you to use Sophos

4 replies

Nov 11, 2013 9:42 PM in response to pixelphoto

Can anyone explain why such a file would be found in the "World's Greatest OS?"

Because it was falsely identified by the world's worst AV junk.

The latest version of Avast found hundreds of "warnings" including "decompression bombs", "corrupted archives" that included Apple's own OS X installer, "too big to be processed" warnings and various other "unknown errors" on a Mac containing nothing other than a brand new installation of Mavericks and a minimally configured User account.

Using Avast also resulted in a non-trivial effect on system responsiveness and excessive battery drain.

Avast's most useful feature was its ability to completely uninstall itself. I recommend you do that.

Decompression Bomb warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.