Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to insert page in Pages 5 document?

In previous versions of Pages, inserting a new page into an existing document was a trivial operation. In Pages 5, it's a total mystery. I opened a template containing text and images and played around with it to familiarize myself with the Pages 5; and somewhere along the line, I clicked on the Insert menu and discovered that the first menu option was "Page". So to insert a new page, one simply selects Insert > Page, right? Wrong! I passed this tip on to another Pages user who was unable to find the "Page" command in the Insert menu. I then tried to figure out how this option had become available in my test document, but I failed miserably. No matter what I do, I cannot figure out how to insert a new page in an existing Pages 5 document. Can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.06MHz Core i3

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 11:48 AM

50 replies

Nov 10, 2013 12:16 PM in response to fruhulda

Yes, but I should be able to add a new page at any time, whether the current page is full or not. Creating multipage documents is not always a linear process. Sometimes you want to add a page while the current page is unfinished. One can, of course, use a page break for this purpose, but that would be the wrong solution in this instance since adding a page break prevents me from going back and adding more content to the page later. It is obviously possible to add a new page using the Insert > Page command because I can do it in one of my test documents; but I am unable to figure out how to do this on demand.

While we're on the subject of pages, Pages lets me view a list of thumbnails for the pages in the current document, but I can't find a way to drag the thumbnails into a different order. Does anyone know how to do this?

Nov 10, 2013 12:26 PM in response to alansky1

Features removed by Apple.

You are probably best off going back to the Pages '09 in your Applications/iWork folder until Apple pulls its finger out, which looks like it is going to be some time.

Apple has generously offered you a new car and moved your old car to the back of the garage under the old furniture. What they didn't tell you is the new car has improved (square) wheels and is steered by pulling at two pieces of string.

Apparently it runs well in the soap box derby as long as you are pointed downhill and don't want to go to work.

Peter

Nov 10, 2013 1:16 PM in response to fruhulda

Using page breaks to create new pages causes its own problems. In order to add more content to a page containing a page break, you have to delete the page break—which can foul up the pagination of all the following pages. Page breaks are meant for word processing documents, as you say.

Like iWeb, Pages was different and great; but iWeb was put out to pasture and Pages appears to have been cut off at the knees for the benefit of the masses. What a shame!

Dec 13, 2013 5:30 AM in response to jackmoore

As far as I know, the shortcut for a page break has always been Command Enter (which is Command Fn Return, if you don't use the numeric keypad for Enter) and that still works in Pages 5 on my computer.

Alansky1: you don't have to delete a page break to add content to the page which contains it; you just have to place the insertion point between the preceding character and the page break, which is easier to do if Show Invisibles is turned on. (You can also put the cursor at the beginning of the following page and back arrow to jump to before the page break.)

How to insert page in Pages 5 document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.