Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina 13" (late 2013) 4GB RAM vs 8GB RAM

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my current MacBook to the newest MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display (base model: 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD). However, I want this computer to last for 3-3.5 years. Therefore, I am wondering how much difference does it make to have 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB? I am on tight budget so additional 200EUR for 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD is very debatable (there is no option to get only 8GB RAM configuration).

My daily usage is very light, however: (1) I'd like to be able to play games like SimCity or Civ5, (2) sometimes I need to use "heavy" apps like IBM SPSS, (3) rarely I like to use photo editing apps.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 1:59 PM

Look at the influence of RAM and SSD on processing CPU intensive applications in this display:

User uploaded file

Note that once you have SSD, RAM becomes less important to performance. Personally If the bank account is thin, 4GB RAM will serve you well. Only in very High CPU intensive applications will it take longer but they will run. Unless yo have another MBP with 8 GB RAM next to you, you will not notice the difference.

Ciao.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2013 1:59 PM in response to tomas.bek

Look at the influence of RAM and SSD on processing CPU intensive applications in this display:

User uploaded file

Note that once you have SSD, RAM becomes less important to performance. Personally If the bank account is thin, 4GB RAM will serve you well. Only in very High CPU intensive applications will it take longer but they will run. Unless yo have another MBP with 8 GB RAM next to you, you will not notice the difference.

Ciao.

MBP Retina 13" (late 2013) 4GB RAM vs 8GB RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.