Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing problem in 10.9 Mavericks

I'm puzzled...

Using a MacBookPro running 10.9 Mavericks. Since upgrading, I am unable to print. The printer que window shows: "Stopped on server - Unable to write uncompressed document data: Operati..."

I am sending the print job thru my printer server which is a MacBook running 10.5.8. The printer is a Samsung ML-1660 and the printer is hard-wired to the server via USB. I tried deleting the printer and reinstalling after the system upgrade.

Not having a problem with the computers running 10.7.5 or 10.8.5. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? TIA.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 1:58 PM

7 replies

Nov 10, 2013 2:06 PM in response to CheapSeats

Visit the Samsung site for a v10.9 Mavericks compatible driver > ML-1660 - SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

If you can't locate a driver, try resetting the print function.

Open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Print

Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button.

If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (

Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.

Nov 15, 2013 8:30 AM in response to CheapSeats

When I connect the printer to the USB door I must select the printer to proceed to the "Use" field. At thi point I go to "select software" but I find different printers, not the Generic Postscript Printer. If I do not connect the Samsung printer to the USB door and I do not select it, I do not have access to the "Use" field.

Sorry, maybe I do something wrong

Apr 3, 2015 8:04 AM in response to CheapSeats

This was the answer to the, "Unable to write uncompressed document data: Operati...," problem I had. At my MacBook Pro G4, used as a print server with a LaserWriter Pro 630 attached, I simply set the printer driver as "Generic Postscript Printer", Voila! The LaserWriter Pro has been a black and white work horse in my business for years. I'm glad I didn't have to put her out to pasture.

Printing problem in 10.9 Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.