Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up iPhoto Library on external hard drive through Time Machine

Hi - I was advised by the folks at the Genius Bar to move my iPhoto Library to an external hard drive (drive 1), and then buy a separate 1TB external hard drive (drive 2) for all of my Time Machine backups. They said I could back up the Library in drive 1 via Time Machine, to drive 2. That way, I'd have 2 spots where my photos were stored.

I can't figure out how to make sure the Time Machine is also backing up the Library in drive 1. Where do I set that up? At the Genius Bar, they insisted I could do it, but when I poke around Time Machine on my System Preferences, I can't figure out how to tell Time Machine where to find the iPhoto Library. And when I open up Time Machine, I just get the application view, not a set up view.

Please help! Thanks!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 4:20 PM

2 replies

Nov 10, 2013 8:41 PM in response to skinnyc

By default Time Machine will backup all locally connected disks. so if the iPhoto library is on a locally connected disk it will be backed up.

To double check that the disk with the iPhoto Library is not being excluded open System Preferences->Time Machine and click on the Options… button.

If the disk with the iPhoto library is in the excluded list remove it.

Backing up iPhoto Library on external hard drive through Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.