Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Thunderbolt firmware

Hi all,

My iMac currently has Thunderbolt bus firmware version 22.1, while running OSX Mavericks. I have seen other machines running version 25.1 .

Also, there are no more updates in the app store for thunderbolt, i have downloaded all of them. latests installed is update 1.2. Any ideas how i can update my Thunderbolt bus firmware to version 25.1?

kind regards,

Erik

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), mid 2011 model iMac

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 7:03 PM

13 replies

Nov 10, 2013 10:34 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann,

thank you for your reply. i have aleady run it until there are no more updates. Unfortunately, i did not get the firmware update.

The reason that i am asking is because i suspect that the 22.1 firmware version is incompatible with version 25.1 when trying to connect two iMacs via thunderbolt. They are not detecting eachother.

IDo you know of any way to force the bus firmware update to get it to 25.1?

Nov 11, 2013 5:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann and bob,

Okay, lets say that i should never mess with the firmware. And then change the question to what i wish to achieve instead of how to solve what i think is the issue.

How do i get my 2 imacs to detect eachother via a connected thunderbolt cable? i know the cable works and that my iMac with firmware version 25.1 works, because i have connected those successfully to an iMac of a colleague.

If i connect the same iMac to my other iMac with firmware version 22.1 with the same thunderbolt cable, the iMacs do not detect eachother. So how can i fix that?

Nov 11, 2013 10:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have read the the FAQ again. Both iMac's should work ... mid 2011, running mavericks, both have thunderbolt ports.

cmd + f2 does not work, and when viewing system information > system report > hardware > thunderbolt , it reads port: no devices connected.

Can i somehow verify if the thunderbolt on my second mac is working or not?

Feb 8, 2014 4:28 PM in response to esptmf

Hi rkaufmann

I bought a Imac 27 2.9GHz and a thunderbolt / firewire adapter to use my lacie firewire external drive. But the external drive is not recognized. I tried another cable from a friend and did not work which excludes the possibility of the cable being damaged. Did the procedures you suggested above and neither worked. Ah! And also again tested the Hard Drives on my macbook with firewire input and works perfectly. Can you help me?

How to update Thunderbolt firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.