Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems trying to create a DVD with iDVD

I'm having huge issues trying to create a DVD of a big file (about 6.6G). I created the video in iMovie, then imported it to iDVD, where I have a 2 hour video and a few smaller ones. When I tried to burn it to a dual layer disc, it fails after abotu 4 hours when it's encoding (says there's about 30 mins left, but it then says done and spits out the dvd). When I try to play the disc, it's blank. I thought maybe it was the size of the file, so I changed the setting to 'High Quality' and it had plenty of space. Still did the same thing. I then tried splitting the files into 2 separate iDVD burns, and it stillf failed. So, I then went to the apple store and talked to a genius, and he said that I was fine using the dual layer DVD+R discs with my superdrive, and it could just be iDVD... to try disc utility. Saved it as an image and tried that. Didn't work. I then tried downloading a program called Burn off the internet, which it said I had to convert the file to an mpg file, but it also failed. Didn't even get far into it, only about 30 seconds or so, and it just spit it out.

I'm getting so frustrated! I'm not good with computers at all, and I've been to the genius bar twice and i still can't figure it out. I'm at the point where I want to just throw it on a usb stick, but I don't know if iDVD will play on their pc laptop.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong??? My system is 10.6.8 snow leopard. Not sure if that helps haha.

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 11:54 PM

Hi there are several way's things can go wrong.

• Brand of DVD used - Memorex, NoName etc are known problem makers. I only use Verbatim DVD-R SL

• Video-Codec on the material feed into iDVD also matters as it tries even to use Codecs it can not use. So full process from Video Capture / Editing program used / Exported how and as what (Codec) is info needed

• Free space on Start-UP (boot / Macintosh HD) hard disk is vital - for SL-DVDs I never go less than 25Gb free space. Double for DL-DVDs and if HD-material is used then 4 x 5 times more will be enough.

Meaning that 200 - 300 Gb is safe level.

• BURN SPEED - max x4 or rather x2 - Best is not BEST

BUT To scale down where the problem resides !

• Save as a DiskImage (Just to omit the Burn Process)

• If this Works - then

• Use Disk Util tool to BURN from the image .img file to DVD (now we isolated the Burn Process)

Yours Bengt W

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2013 11:54 PM in response to lburt

Hi there are several way's things can go wrong.

• Brand of DVD used - Memorex, NoName etc are known problem makers. I only use Verbatim DVD-R SL

• Video-Codec on the material feed into iDVD also matters as it tries even to use Codecs it can not use. So full process from Video Capture / Editing program used / Exported how and as what (Codec) is info needed

• Free space on Start-UP (boot / Macintosh HD) hard disk is vital - for SL-DVDs I never go less than 25Gb free space. Double for DL-DVDs and if HD-material is used then 4 x 5 times more will be enough.

Meaning that 200 - 300 Gb is safe level.

• BURN SPEED - max x4 or rather x2 - Best is not BEST

BUT To scale down where the problem resides !

• Save as a DiskImage (Just to omit the Burn Process)

• If this Works - then

• Use Disk Util tool to BURN from the image .img file to DVD (now we isolated the Burn Process)

Yours Bengt W

Nov 11, 2013 1:36 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi, thanks for your response. I was trying memorex DVD + R DL... hopefully the problem is that easy to fix! I will try verbatim. You suggest only single layer?

Also, I did try to save it as a disc image and then burn in disc utility. It saved fine, as a .img file, but when I tried to burn it, it failed almost right away when i clicked burn. Didn't know where to trouble shoot with it, as I'm not really familiar with disc utility. Are there settings in it I should have changed? All i want is the DVD to be able to play on a DVD player!

Thanks very much!

Laura

Nov 11, 2013 1:40 AM in response to lburt

iDVD: Burning Double-Layer DVDs

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2937

You should also pay attention to the encoding settings:

iDVD encoding settings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1502?viewlocale=en_US

Short version:

Best Performance is for videos of up to 60 minutes

Best Quality is for videos of up to 120 minutes

Professional Quality is also for up to 120 minutes but even higher quality (and takes much longer)

That was for single-layer DVDs. Double these numbers for dual-layer DVDs.

Professional Quality: The Professional Quality option uses advanced two-pass technology to encode your video (The first pass determines which parts of the movie can be given greater compresson without quality loss and which parts can’t. The second pass then encodes those different parts accordingly) , resulting in the best quality of video possible on your burned DVD. You can select this option regardless of your project’s duration (up to 2 hours of video for a single-layer disc and 4 hours for a double-layer disc). Because Professional Quality encoding is time-consuming (requiring about twice as much time to encode a project as the High Quality option, for example) choose it only if you are not concerned about the time taken.

In both cases the maximum length includes titles, transitions and effects etc. Allow about 15 minutes for these.

You can use the amount of video in your project as a rough determination of which method to choose. If your project has an hour or less of video (for a single-layer disc), choose Best Performance. If it has between 1 and 2 hours of video (for a single-layer disc), choose High Quality. If you want the best possible encoding quality for projects that are up to 2 hours (for a single-layer disc), choose Professional Quality. This option takes about twice as long as the High Quality option, so select it only if time is not an issue for you.

Use the Capacity meter in the Project Info window (choose Project > Project Info) to determine how many minutes of video your project contains.

NOTE: With the Best Performance setting, you can turn background encoding off by choosing Advanced > “Encode in Background.” The checkmark is removed to show it’s no longer selected. Turning off background encoding can help performance if your system seems sluggish.

And whilst checking these settings in iDVD Preferences, make sure that the settings for NTSC/PAL and DV/DV Widescreen are also what you want.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1502?viewlocale=en_US

Problems trying to create a DVD with iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.